FJ62 Brake Bleeding Nightmare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have an 89 fj62, all stock. this past weekend I was Bleeding the brakes because my pedal was very squishy and not performing correctly. During the process, more air than I suspected kept coming out from the bleeders. when I finished, the brake pedal was way worse than before and I had even less braking power, but not NO braking power. I did not bleed the LSPV. do you think that is the reason for these issues? or is it more likely I have a leaking soft line?

It it likely that you have :
A) leaking soft line
B) air in your LSPV (which should be bled last after doing the 4 corners) I had most of my air in the LSPV when I changed out a master cylinder.
C) allowed air into you master cylinder by having the fluid level drop too low while bleeding
D) any or all of the above acting together.

Sorry if you know this, but you should be bleeding from the longest HYDRAULIC line to the shortest, then the LSPV: LR, RR, LF, RF, LSPV

1589371750766.png

If you did suck air into the reservoir, or suspect the master needs to be bled, here is that procedure:

1589371831647.png

I have speed bleeders installed at all my wheel cylinders (and clutch slave) bleeding the wheel cylinders is a one person job for me.

Recently I replaced a rear wheel cylinder and bled the brakes without bleeding the LSPV and my pedal remained squishy until I completed the process exactly as the FSM states as shown above. My pedal was much better afterwards.

So I bled the LSPV, it seemed like barely any fluid came out each time, is that normal? after completing it was no better. I also inspected my soft lines and couldn't see any leaks, but I ordered replacements anyway. I am also 100% sure that no air was sucked into the master cylinder, I was very careful. I also don't want to have to replace it is possible. any thoughts on what could be going on here?

Based on some advice I found here, I left the top off my brake reservoir overnight in my garage. As recommended it allowed some of the bubbles to come up overnight and seemed to make a big difference. I didn’t believe that would work but I did actually see a bubble come up to the surface. End result was I finally had operational brakes.

If fluid isnt coming out something is wrong, either air is coming out (good!) or there is a leak.

Bleed all 4 corners and the lspv again exactly as the manual says. Keep pumping until only clear fluid without air bubbles is in the tubing. Brake fluid isn't that expensive, it's worth just doing it again to be sure.

make sure you keep the reservoir filled...nothing worse than being almost done and accidentally sucking air back into the master.

If fluid isnt coming out something is wrong, either air is coming out (good!) or there is a leak.

Bleed all 4 corners and the lspv again exactly as the manual says. Keep pumping until only clear fluid without air bubbles is in the tubing. Brake fluid isn't that expensive, it's worth just doing it again to be sure.
when I say not a lot of fluid comes out, I mean that when you bleed a wheel cylinder you can move a lot of fluid through on each pump of the pedal, but with the LSPV i would only get about half an inch of fluid to come out before the pedal hit the floor and stoped pushing it out. Do you think this could mean I have a bad LSPV? or is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom