FJ62 Body-off resto!! Need some advise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello LC FAM. I am planning to do a body off restoration and custom build out to my 88 FJ62. After making a list of all that needs to be done, I believe it will be a much more efficient approach to remove the body.

Build out plan includes (short list)
A new lifted suspension, OME 2.5" Full kit. With 33" tires.
Replacing all bushings, including body mount bushings.
Swapping out the oem 4.11 gears for 4.88's, and installing front and back air lockers
Custom exhaust, front to back, including performance headers and CAT delete.
Keeping the original 6 pack, if I can get it running worth a darn! De-Smogged.
Swapping out the auto transmission for a manual 5 speed, H55f
Adding a tow package

In addition to all this, a few other points below lead me to believe taking the body off is the way to go.

1) Frame has some rust damage. From what I can see, most of the rust is limited to surface damage. However, the back end, behind the shackle mounts, has meaningful damage that will have to be repaired in a structural way.

2) My plan to swap in an H55f manual five speed will require the transmission cross member to be moved.

Most of this work, I can do myself. However, I have never taken the body off a vehicle before. Any tips or tricks to removing the body from an FJ62??

Thanks all!

One other thing to consider adding to the list is converting your vacuum shift to manual shift on the transfer case. Check out Cruiser outfitters for what you need.

I've never removed the body but I would guess....

1. spray all the body mount bolts/nuts with penetrating oil for a few days prior.

2. remove or disconnect all body to chassis wiring. Remove the shift boots, and pull the shifters if they're in the way. Disc Fuel fill hose from fuel tank or from the fuel fill door. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

3. raising the body off the frame with porta power or mini air bags between the body and the frame. Large wooden wedges or boards to capture your progress here.

4. Run beams under the body and above the frame fore and aft with enough board coming out the sides to lift with a shop lift.

No access to a shop lift, you'll have to use jacks and cribbing to capture your progress.

5. Building a cart with wheels on it, to set the body on would free up your lift. And you'd have the ability to move the body around ...and get it out of the way. Maybe this should be 1st on your list. And if you really want to get crazy you can build or buy a rotisserie if your going to restore the body.

add to step 2. brake line at the master cylinder, clutch line at the clutch slave cylinder, throttle cable or linkage and basically every line going into the firewall

step 3 can probably be done with prybars with a board protecting the body from bending and another set of hands to stuff more boards between the frame and body as you pry/lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom