FJ62 "Body Lift" Nylon??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cardomain.com
I've seen the "hockey puck" lift done on an FJ60, as an imitation body lift. But is there a better material? And since you have to drill through the pucks, is there something even easier? I've also explored the rout of boat rollers...yes, rollers on a boat trailer, since marine stores sell them pretty cheap in FL. But I've moved onto the possibility of a nylon or polyurethane bushing replacement. Anyone know which material is really better? Has anyone "installed" this type of body lift before, even hockey pucks (besides Tracy Crisp...FLCA!).
My cruiser already has extended Brake and Fuel Hoses and a geometric-corrected steering setup w/ stabilizers, so that's not a prob. Also, the popular height of body lifts seems to be 3", but i'm only going for 2". I just need the extra room in the wheel wells to clear 39.5's...Decided 38's just aren't enough.
Thanks for any info, comments, criticism, threats, and whatnot.

Chad in Lake Alfred

Me too....I'm thinking a one or two inch body lift in addition to the spring/shackle lift (althought I was only going for 35s), but how hard is it to do? What's the best materiai?

Ask and you shall recieve!

Go with a spring over and bag the body lift!

Nylon absorbs moisture. Polyurethane deteriorates with ultraviolet.

Body lifts have their place. If you have a suspension lift and long shackles and you find you need just a little more clearance to prevent tire rubbing when they are stuffed, a body lift is an inexpensive way to help that problem.

Plus, any mega suspension lift (ie soa) raises center of gravity which can cause stability problems. Mild susp lift w. mild body lift keeps cg low while allowing larger tires. Afterall, the lager tires really determine clearance from ground to lowest part of rig, typically the axle.

gulp3000 said:
Body lifts have their place. If you have a suspension lift and long shackles and you find you need just a little more clearance to prevent tire rubbing when they are stuffed, a body lift is an inexpensive way to help that problem.

That's my situation--I got about 3 inches of lift w/ Dakars and long shackles, but I want to add sliders and run 35s (family fishing/camping rig). The body lift gives me more room for both--I think (hope) that one inch wil be enough. Thanks for the link!

Live to Ski said:
Plus, any mega suspension lift (ie soa) raises center of gravity which can cause stability problems. Mild susp lift w. mild body lift keeps cg low while allowing larger tires. Afterall, the lager tires really determine clearance from ground to lowest part of rig, typically the axle.

Partly agreed, but 3" would hardly be considered a mild body lift, and 39.5" tires are already throwing off your COG.

flowman said:
That's my situation--I got about 3 inches of lift w/ Dakars and long shackles, but I want to add sliders and run 35s (family fishing/camping rig). The body lift gives me more room for both--I think (hope) that one inch wil be enough. Thanks for the link!

you will still rub. i have OME, shackles and the 1" and still rub with only 34x12.5

Really? Damn--guess I'll stick to 33's ... I keep telling myself "this isn't a trail rig, this isn't a trail rig".

Who makes 34s? I was thinking that might be a better bet, but I haven't seen any 34 mudders.

Hey Peepers,

34's w. the suspension/body lift may work with narrower tire. I rode with some 60's at moab that had that setup, seemed to work ok. Can't remeber who they were though.

Live to Ski said:
Hey Peepers,

34's w. the suspension/body lift may work with narrower tire. I rode with some 60's at moab that had that setup, seemed to work ok. Can't remeber who they were though.

the 34x10.5 swamper will fit and barely, barely rub with just the OME and shackles. with the 1" body lift i bet the tire will clear fine and not rub at all. but that is one serious tire, for trail truck only (IMHO)

flowman said:
Who makes 34s? I was thinking that might be a better bet, but I haven't seen any 34 mudders.

Interco Trxus... 34x12.5 M/T but not bogger type mud tire. great all around tire.

PolkLandbruiser said:
I've seen the "hockey puck" lift done on an FJ60, as an imitation body lift. But is there a better material? And since you have to drill through the pucks, is there something even easier? I've also explored the rout of boat rollers...yes, rollers on a boat trailer, since marine stores sell them pretty cheap in FL. But I've moved onto the possibility of a nylon or polyurethane bushing replacement. Anyone know which material is really better? Has anyone "installed" this type of body lift before, even hockey pucks (besides Tracy Crisp...FLCA!).
My cruiser already has extended Brake and Fuel Hoses and a geometric-corrected steering setup w/ stabilizers, so that's not a prob. Also, the popular height of body lifts seems to be 3", but i'm only going for 2". I just need the extra room in the wheel wells to clear 39.5's...Decided 38's just aren't enough.
Thanks for any info, comments, criticism, threats, and whatnot.

Chad in Lake Alfred

REPLY:::

1st off, Swamper makes 2 34" sizes...trxus, less agressive...and the LTB, more like the TSL & Aggresive. Second, it would be common sense to realize i have more than the planned body lift if i am clearing 39.5s! I currently have 12 1/2" of suspension lift...Spring over, Reacrch, Add-a-leaf, and Shackle Ext. I currently can clear 39.5s also, but only on pavement. If i bounce offroad through some dirt, they rub. So, back to the extra clearance from the body lift issue. Thanks for the tips bout nylon and Polyurethane. Subsequently, i found what i was looking for...polyethinol. Best material, simply more plastic than rubber. We're installing 3" on my Brother's 93 T100 and 2" on my FJ62. I found it before someone posted the link, but it's below anyhow.
Chad

This may be another thread and none of my business but what type of wheeling do you do with a 12 1/2 inchs of lift?

Damon

PolkLandbruiser said:
I currently have 12 1/2" of suspension lift...Spring over, Reacrch, Add-a-leaf, and Shackle Ext.
Chad

post PICS of this beast please...

I have 3" bodylift with nylon and run with 35" BFG Mudterrain in my HJ61 -89 TDI. I have had only a few minor rubbings on the inside of the rear fender when flexing "maximum" out on the other side and in on the other. By "moving" the fender a little bit in the area of rubbing, it should solv the rubbing problem. With 3" lift I can't imaging rubbing the top part of the rear fenders.
For me the "big" 35"s gave another problem, slow acceleration onroad and to fast offroad. Therefore I'm going to change differentials to 1:4,88 :D That can of course couse some other problems, but who cares when your cruiser gets better for offroad ;)

Finncruiser said:
With 3" lift I can't imaging rubbing the top part of the rear fenders.
with a 12.5 wide tire and 3.5" BS you will rub in the inner part of the wheelwell, where the bod of the truck meets the frame.

BFGs run small, that is why you "fit" 35s. I have a friend with 7" of lift and his 35 TrXus still rub in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom