FJ62 Bad Rain Gutter Sealing leads to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this truck back in 2014 when I lived in Northern California. It was a Norcal truck its entire life near Stockton 2 owners me being the third. It has a bad respray on it (chipping) and had some rust bubbles appearing above the rain gutter growing.

2 years ago i went after resealing the rain gutters after moving back east. In the section of this bubble was a poorly laid bead of body sealer from the factory. It was a PITA to remove the original sealer from the vehicle. I wire wheeled the rust used POR15 in the gutters and over the rusty area then for a temporary repair used 3m 8500 as a cover. I did a really poor job with the rain gutters (very messy) I will redo with the self leveling stuff after this repair.

This is my first bit of body work that I've done. I had a quote of $400 to fix it at one time, but i doubt it would have been done to what i think is acceptable. Now I'm digging into repairing it as besides the rear hatch (always looking for a replacement) there is no other rust.

I think I'm going to have to replace the bottom section of the gutter in this section as it has a lot of rust on it as well.

IMG_20160820_141103.jpg
IMG_20180919_172732.jpg
IMG_20180919_173833.jpg
IMG_20180919_180220.jpg

IMG_20180919_210412.jpg

Sigh.... this is my next project as well.... Keep us posted on progress. Once it starts, it spreads fast, trust me.

Parking outside at the beach for a decade is rough on the roof seams..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom