FJ62 and FJ80 (91/92) same tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure it's been asked before, but didn't see what I was looking for in about 5 minutes of searching. Does the FJ62 share the same tranny as the early FJ80s? If so, would a part-time transfer case from the 62 drop into my 80? If not, what kind of work am I looking at to get a part time t-case into my 92?

Dude, I hear that. From what I understand they are the same tranny. But everyone I asked has have had no idea. I am calling cruiser parts.net net week to see if they can put them side by side to see if they will mate up. I hate full time and will getting rid of it one way or another..

I dont think a 60's case will mate up to the auto....possibly a 62's case though..I will PM you what I find.

Hey Lowtide, there is a conversion kit from marks4wd for the 80 that I considered a time or two :) It involved pulling the center diff out and pressing in a permanent gear. The CDL becomes you push button 4WD button...kinda cool!

I think you will actually find the AWD kinda nice if you drive it a bit.

When I said 60's, I meant 62..sorry. Yea, keep me posted. A junk-yard 62 t-case would be cheaper than the kit to make it 2wd. I love my 4wd, but some times it is just un-necessary.

Will do brotha...Yeah thats why it would be nice to go the 62's case route. I never need 4wd, so It's gotta go.

Yea Dan, marks has that kit..but it's $500 and then there's still some fab work. If a 62's t-case drops in, there would eb no fab work except for the shifter lever, and that might even fall right into place with a little extending.

The FJ62 and the FJ80 both have the A440 transmission.

It's amazing what a fella can learn from searching... :rolleyes:

:D :flipoff2: :D

no no no no no...We know that mr Nordougy....I was talking side by side as in...will the 62 case mate to the A440 from the fj80. As in the off chance toyota might have changed somthing small that would make running the 62 case very hard. ;)

I thought the 62 transmission was slightly different, something like one is a 440 the other a 442? Or something along those lines?

No idea if that effects bolt up of a 62 T-case, I can look at a 62 transmission tomorrow not sure if there is an FJ80 trans there also.

If I am looking at 3FE's out of the truck is there a quick way to tell witch came from a 62 and witch from an 80?

lowtideride said:
no no no no no...We know that mr Nordougy....I was talking side by side as in...will the 62 case mate to the A440 from the fj80. As in the off chance toyota might have changed somthing small that would make running the 62 case very hard. ;)

Well if that's the question Velveeta...I think the answer is no.

I'll find the thread that seems to indicate that it will not...

stand by...

Here ya go Slick. Read post #6. I'd say that Robbie knows what he's talkin' about. Seems that the main difference would be how it mates up with the transfer case.

Last edited:
Now thats what I was talking about. Maybe there is a possiblity to use the whole tranny and t-case from the fj62. But if I went that far I might as well throw in a manual.

The information is correct in that thread, also you would have to check and make sure the bell housing will switch from the trannys as the bell housing will be different, starters on different sides, but this should not matter much. Also I do not remember what model year the drive plate goes to bigger bolts, but you may have to match the drive plate to the torque converter or put your TC in the new tranny. Also you may have to put in a different front and rear drive shaft as I think the lengths of the t-cases are different, the front a bunch, the rear close. later robbie

So you're saying that there is no way to use my 92 Tranny with a 62's T'case? Well that down right sucks. Off topic slightly, but what Transmissions, Auto or Manual, bolt right up to the 3FE?

alkaline747trio said:
Manual, bolt right up to the 3FE?

H41, H42, H55f and their part-time tcases bolt right up. Use a 2F flywheel/bellhousing. The 3F-E's ECU in and of itself IINM does not control any tranny signals.

I think an H42 would be a sweet FJ80 swap.

I have not done the output shaft swap, but in theory it is possiable. I would vote for the 5 speed if you are doing the manual route. I was around one in santa fe it was a sweet combo in a fj 62. I did not work on it, or drive it, just rode in it. I tried to buy it after it was swamped and a con rod was bent in the engine, but some one out bid me. later robbie

there are differences in the 88-90 fj62 trany and the 91-2 fj80 trany, I recall its the flywheel(or torque converter) bolt patern or something like that. I actaully knew at one time........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom