FJ62 Alternator Belt / Bracket / Still Belt Slack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
12/1988 FJ62. Relatively new purchase. Picture is borrowed.

Here’s the deal. #1 bolt is used to provide tension (the crow bar); #2 bolt actually secures along the bracket / arc.

Issue is - too much slack in old oem belt (#90916-02141-77) even when the #2 bolt is jammed against edge of bracket push alternator away from engine.

I 3x checked the belt numbers. Maybe alternator bracket is not oem and skewing.

Or belt is that out of whack / stretched?
Alternator installed on wrong pivot?
Get new belt??
I’ll take another look tom in the cold!

E5C37D13-0302-4611-9150-B88934DC6C7B.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but I've been researching alternator upgrades for my rig.

That looks like an internal fan 90-amp alternator, which is a slightly different package than the stock 80-amp unit for most US-Spec FJ62's. The 90-amp bracket set has more sweep area for that bolt / adjustment than the 80-amp setup. That may be where you're running into issues.

1669042722063.png

-Rob

My apologies - the pictures was borrowed. My unit “appears” to be oem 1989 bracket and 1989 alternator. The issue is the Toyota OEM belt “age unknown” looks good, but when installing the belt, the alternator is pegged and limited furthest from engine by the arc of the bracket.

The belt is still loose at the “tighest” setting. I was expecting adjustment to be be final midway through the arc. I know belts stretch, but not this much?? Going to compare with a non OEM belt tomorrow.

C06ED563-F0C4-4489-8CF0-035230E40C97.jpeg

Alternator is OEM (remanufactured). Belt part no and alternator part no coincide with the book. Unless the belt is “stretched” I do not understand why the alternator would be “pegged” unless stretched. Stay tuned. Unfortunately I will be using an aftermarket belt this afternoon for comparison for now.

848C2B62-6D6D-4F70-BC15-1CC9189CE7E8.jpeg

390C97D6-0F7D-47B7-A17F-DBF6A07E5A73.jpeg

Last edited:
that belt isn't very long,

IIRCC it goes crank-water pump-alternator

it just can't stretch that much

I’m just going to take bracket out and extend the arc slot an inch or so in order to get 1/2” deflection for desired alternator belt tightness.

The NAPA belt was identical to the OEM. Looking at pictures on the web, the alternator could have been an afterthought by Toyota. All show the alternator limited by the bracket on the right. I prefer an allowance for belt tightening and a smaller diameter alternator belt may skew the dynamics for the larger power steering belt that rides the alternator pulley too.

21ABB6B6-78A6-46C2-9270-7BD5002DE6E3.jpeg

8F2EA97D-2848-47DB-8060-98FDDCBE5FCE.jpeg

Hi, First sometimes you have to take the bracket bolt completely loose to get that belt on. Second I’ve found antisieze on a cleaned bolt works wonders and a cleaned anti seized top mounting bolt Will pivot again. Over the years both bolts get gummed up. Third Toyota shows two belts for that location one is about an inch longer and makes a lot of difference.

I ended up wrenching it hard and have both the alternator and the powers steering idler pegged to their extremes (or far out) to their theoretical max expansion or adjusted tightness.

In my opinion still have more play than i would prefer (1/2”) but at least it’s not slipping and alternator is charging. I just think it’s silly for Toyota to design to the far reaches as opposed to 3/4 or 1/2 an arc even if these belts may be slightly stretched.

In my opinion still have more play than i would prefer (1/2”) but at least it’s not slipping and alternator is charging. I just think it’s silly for Toyota to design to the far reaches as opposed to 3/4 or 1/2 an arc even if these belts may be slightly stretched.

I think something else is going on.
is this a new issue?

I've got 3 3FE's and the alternator adjuster is about midway in the arc

Please tell me what belts you got. See pics.
Alternator belt deflection is easily 1”+
Regardless stocking stuffer is new oem belts. I have no idea on age of these but they look solid.

0B91830F-B7FA-4463-88F1-D26D65BFE82B.jpeg

B1BD6F13-A666-4895-8FC4-0D677CFC584F.jpeg

B9D5799C-A1D9-49F6-8B9F-306A9058C846.jpeg

My belts also sit about half way in the adjustment bar.It also depends on where you start the adjustment screw when you start tightening .

the alternator belt has its own tensioner. It’s alternator (slides along bracket) via tension bolt & bracket (fixed), the crank pulley which is fixed, the fan pulley which is fixed. I’ll be measuring pulleys tomorrow but all look OEM. The belt is OEM. I’m just perplexed.

I may get smaller belt but was is the purpose of OEM then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom