FJ62 AC Pully tightening problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I loosened the nut on from of the idler pully for my AC and went under the vehicle to tighten the pulley. As I rotated the nut to tighten the pully it keeps unscrewing from the top capture bolt.

Any idea how to keep it from backing out so the idler pully screw will tighten?

So I loosened the nut on from of the idler pully for my AC and went under the vehicle to tighten the pulley. As I rotated the nut to tighten the pully it keeps unscrewing from the top capture bolt.

photos would help im having trouble following are you first synching up the long carriage bolt , then the lock down pully bolt ?

you may have a stripped threads issues on the slider or the ling threaded carriage ?

pics please

i can help you here , i have a mock up in my shop right now

this your set up ?

1629037645712.png

That’s my set. I loosened the nut in the center of the pully.
Then I rotated the large carriage nut from the bottom (14mm). I rotated clockwise first but nothing seemed to tighten. I rotated counterclockwise and the nut disengaged from the capture nut on top.

Are you saying I may have stripped threads on the slider? It held tension yesterday but started to chirp a bit. I just wanted to tighten it a bit to troubleshoot and probably need a need belt

Will do. Probably best to change the belt now anyway.

yes belt too

i carry the pully and the long carriage bolt too , if you need them

The adjuster threads were fine but I found that the locking nut on the top of the five inch carriage bolt was missing. Reassembled with a new locking nut, tensioner worked great and no more squeal.

thanks for all the help. Toyota Matt, you taught me a little more about my truck today. Thanks

for reference counterclockwise from underneath tightens the belt. Sometimes the pulley needs a tap to loosen it a bit once the lock nut is loose.
Roger that. Without the locking nut on top counter clockwise unscrewed the bolt from the top rather than tightening the adjuster

My female threads are completely stripped out. Turning the long bolt does nothing. How can I get the bolt out to change the pulley? Can I just take the whole bracket off? Need to fix so the defogger can work. 1990 FJ62

Probably have to. You might be able to add a nut on top? or underneath? the stripped part for a temp fix to get you out of trouble until you get a new one. But you will have to remove the bracket first.
Thanks. Looks to be a pain. Wondering if I can use a drimmel to cut it out. I've exhausted everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom