FJ62/3FE sheared one of the serpentine pulleys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

+ said ^ lottery ticket. You avoided a world of hurt. Dibs on 50% of win.

Those all look good.

If you look on rockauto.com you can get the Aisin fan (OEM) for around $40

The correct timing cover seal is linked above. Looks like below:

View attachment 2767456

Should that be about it for the parts on this job?

I would get the timing cover gasket as well if its not been replaced recently. There is a seal in the timing cover that goes around the HB snout, which is the one @Spike Strip mentions, and then there is the gasket that seals the timing cover to the engine block. If I were down to this level of repair I would replace all the seals around there I could. HTH.

I would get the timing cover gasket as well if its not been replaced recently. There is a seal in the timing cover that goes around the HB snout, which is the one @Spike Strip mentions, and then there is the gasket that seals the timing cover to the engine block. If I were down to this level of repair I would replace all the seals around there I could. HTH.
Ok cool, I wasn’t 100% sure about that. I doubt it’s been replaced so I’ll go ahead and add it.

Ok cool, I wasn’t 100% sure about that. I doubt it’s been replaced so I’ll go ahead and add it.

I mean maybe you are borrowing trouble replacing it if its not leaking now. I tend to view incidents like this as opportunities to right all the little wrongs with my truck. Maybe helps take the edge off of having your HB come apart while driving if you view it as a chance to improve your prized 60 series as much as you can in the process.

I recently had wheel studs break on the front passenger side of the truck. Like you OP, I got real lucky here. While I wasn't happy with this happening considering they are maybe a year old, knowing that I most likely caused this issue myself by not keeping up with lug nut torque, knowing the work involved in replacing them, and with the end result being the destruction of a freshly powder-coated 40-series steelie, I viewed it as an opportunity to replace my frozen up brake calipers which I have wanted to do for awhile. I turned mis-fortune into a functioning, bleedable brake system. Made the effort and misery somewhat palatable. HTH.

Make sure if it does get replaced that all the bolts go back where they come from and follow the instructions on putting it back onfrom the fsm
Honestly you might want to read the procedure. Last one i did I had the oil pan removed. Put timing gear cover on finger tight then h/b witch aligns the cover then torque tha timing cover bolts can't express bolts in right locations enough bigger problems if that occurs then install oil pan gasket and oil pan.

Honestly you might want to read the procedure. Last one i did I had the oil pan removed. Put timing gear cover on finger tight then h/b witch aligns the cover then torque tha timing cover bolts can't express bolts in right locations enough bigger problems if that occurs then install oil pan gasket and oil pan.
Yes agreed here. Its not as straight forward as it would seem. Follow the FSM to the letter if doing this yourself. Two larger bottom bolts get sealer on them when putting them in to prevent oil leaks for example. Torque for smaller TC bolts are in inch pounds and need to be put in specific places. Crank nut has significant torque requirements. As @tmxmotorsports mentions you prolly want to read through the procedure to see if its something you even want to try and tackle yourself. Not hard but fairly detailed bit of work.

Last edited:
Yes agreed here. Its not as straight forward as it would seem. Follow the FSM to the letter if doing this yourself. Two larger bottom bolts get sealer on them when putting them in to prevent oil leaks for example. Torque for smaller TC bolts are in inch pounds and need to be put in specific places. Crank nut has significant torque requirements. As @tmxmotorsports mentions you prolly want to read through the procedure to see if its something you even ant to try and tackle yourself. Not hard but fairly detailed bit of work.
I'll be having a shop do the work and they're familiar with older Land Cruisers, It might be a good idea for me to pass along this info though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom