FJ62: 3FE Exhaust Manifold Leak Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I heard a very loud clicking or ticking noise from the engine bay of my 62 and tried pinpointing the sound but couldn't, so I took it by the local dealer and had them take a look at it. They told me it was a leak from the manifold gasket. :doh:

If I plan to replace this gasket (and intake as well), has anyone done this gasket before and have any advice for me. While I have everything apart should I be replacing anything else? Also, should I have the exhaust manifold planed flat again just to ensure a good seat? I was going to use a remflex gasket as they seem to have received great reviews here. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this is a new project for me. Still learning as I go. Thanks!! -tcf

Depending on your budget I would have the fuel injectors rebuilt, tuned etc.

I did my manifold gasket using the FelPro one that everyone recommends and I regret not taking the time to get the injectors cleaned and tested.

Be very careful with the aluminum fuel rail. I messed it up on reinstall and had to use the one off my parts truck.

Easy job, just takes time.

Depending on your budget I would have the fuel injectors rebuilt, tuned etc.

I did my manifold gasket using the FelPro one that everyone recommends and I regret not taking the time to get the injectors cleaned and tested.

Be very careful with the aluminum fuel rail. I messed it up on reinstall and had to use the one off my parts truck.

Easy job, just takes time.
Ok Ill look into getting them checked out. As far as I know I would need to completely remove most of the Smog equipment on the right side of the engine, as well as the throttle body, EFI, and the intake manifold, as well as obviously removing the exhaust manifold too? I just am not 100% sure what to completely remove and what to leave? Any funny business involve draining the coolant etc? Last time I did my throttle body I didn't need to drain the coolant. And I don't believe I will need any special tool either.

You should not have to drain coolant. You do need to remove everything on top of the manifold so that you can gain access to the bolts. The heat risers on either end also need to come off. I used a remflex gasket for the manifold and egr when I did mine. It is kind of hard to pull it away from the head. You are going to have to remove the bolts for the exhaust, j-pipe, and maybe the j-pipe cooler so you can wiggle it out. Once you do get it out, you can check for straightness with a good metal ruler or take it to a machine shop and have them check it for you. Look for cracks down in the center of the intake portion of the manifold.

Thank you!! This is very helpful!! I’ll take a look for cracks. I am going to tackle this project Friday so I’ll ley you know how it does. I just got in the remflex gasket. I don’t think I got a gasket though for the EGR...

I was able to remove the upper Intake Manifold (part with the "EFI" badge stamped on it), however I can't seem to get the other lower part of the intake manifold off from the block... Do I have to remove the fuel rail too? It seems like the hard lines that go into the fuel rail are what is holding me up from pulling it off? I assume I have to remove these. Or is there a way I can just keep the fuel rail on?

Also the Reflex Gasket I have says only to torque it to 20 ft/lbs. This doesn't seem like a lot. I assume they mean torque all the mounting bolts (and the couple nuts) to 20? Thanks!!
TCF

IMG_5752.JPG

I was able to remove the upper Intake Manifold (part with the "EFI" badge stamped on it), however I can't seem to get the other lower part of the intake manifold off from the block... Do I have to remove the fuel rail too? It seems like the hard lines that go into the fuel rail are what is holding me up from pulling it off? I assume I have to remove these. Or is there a way I can just keep the fuel rail on?

Also the Reflex Gasket I have says only to torque it to 20 ft/lbs. This doesn't seem like a lot. I assume they mean torque all the mounting bolts (and the couple nuts) to 20? Thanks!!
TCF

View attachment 1889155
Yes, you will have to take off the fuel rail is my recollection. I know that I took mine off. That's when I decided to get my injectors rebuilt (also the cold start injector). I sent them off to Witchhunter Performance .

I also got new clamps for mounting the harness onto the fuel rail since the old plasric clips had disintegrated.

Key take away is to take your time.

Oh and be mindful when you out it all back together. My fuel dampener/regulator was not on all the way and is kind of hard to access.

Since I was messing with fuel rail, I decided to replace the fuel filter as well .

There is always something more you can be doing!

Yes, you will have to take off the fuel rail is my recollection. I know that I took mine off. That's when I decided to get my injectors rebuilt (also the cold start injector). I sent them off to Witchhunter Performance .

I also got new clamps for mounting the harness onto the fuel rail since the old plasric clips had disintegrated.

Key take away is to take your time.

Oh and be mindful when you out it all back together. My fuel dampener/regulator was not on all the way and is kind of hard to access.

Since I was messing with fuel rail, I decided to replace the fuel filter as well .

There is always something more you can be doing!
Sounds good I’ll take that all into consideration. I might just get my injectors rebuilt too...

Got everything off I need to. I am going to take yalls advice and spend a bit extra $$ to get the injectors checked and cleaned by witch hunter here in Bothell WA.
Oh and one thing, the top pic, you can see I broke off a piece of the clip. Is this bad? The clips were so hard to pull off.

B733ED67-BD9A-4735-964B-3EAE0BE22F8B.JPG

9138C43D-C6EE-4F60-B063-9E8DA8859274.JPG

Hmmm... Don't know for sure about the broken clip. I do believe its possible to buy from SOR or other places a replacement and splice it in. You could always try clipping in one of the injectors you took out to see if it holds. I would be afraid that from vibrations it could come loose.

Figure this out now before you ship off your injectors - so that if need be you can get a replacement clip sent to you while the injectors are out.

Also, I was able to ship all the injectors ( 6 + cold start) in one USPS small box. Frankly, I didn't have enough driving experience with the truck to tell you the difference in before and after cleaning. But it made me "feel" good about the rebuild - so why not?

this thread has a link to buy new injector connectors in post#4
ih8mud.com/threads/fj80-v-fj62-injector-connectors-engine-harness-differences.812590/

I replaced the same connectors on an old miata. On that car I removed the center inside plastic section and then the wires can slip out of the back of the grey housing. As long as the crimped end fittings are good, just reassemble each with a new housing. These might release the wire differently - maybe Lambcrusher can chime in - I see a paperclip in the picture

Got my injectors all cleaned by witch hunter, however they came back with this big black rubber gasket on the end of the spray nozzle... These were not on there when I took them out. I am assuming I have to take them off before I re install them? Thanks!! Also btw i was able to get an injector clip from Torfab in Everette WA.

IMG_1597.JPG

Thanks for posting all the pics and questions, I need to do mine and it’s super helpful. Not much info on the site for this for a 62

Thanks for posting all the pics and questions, I need to do mine and it’s super helpful. Not much info on the site for this for a 62
No problem. This is my first time ever doing my own maintenance on my own rig so I am trying to figure it out:)

Keep up the good work, so others may follow!

Got my injectors all cleaned by witch hunter, however they came back with this big black rubber gasket on the end of the spray nozzle... These were not on there when I took them out. I am assuming I have to take them off before I re install them? Thanks!! Also btw i was able to get an injector clip from Torfab in Everette WA.

View attachment 1895498

The old ones are probably just still sitting in the manifold. Here are some pics for reference
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 8.58.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 8.59.14 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom