FJ61 2F running poorly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 61 has been running for about six months now, but it is having some issues. It is a basic 2F with no smog equipment other than the EGR system. From the factory it had a points dissy but I replaced it with a USA big cap.

Issue #1. Rough idle
This is kind of a weird one. When it is first started up the idle is pretty good but after running at high throttle it gets really rough. Today when I pulled off the interstate after doing 100-105 for 45min or so it died when I clutched in. It restarted fine though and I left the choke out a bit to keep it idling. After sitting for a couple hours it restarted and idled fine until I drove for a while, at which point it got bad again. I checked the float level while it was running rough and it was halfway in the sight-glass. My next thought was vac leak so I did the carb-cleaner test all around the manifold and vac lines but the idle didn't change. Tomorrow I'm gonna stop by an auto parts store and buy a vac gauge.

Issue #2. Running rich
The last time I was convoying with a group the person behind me said my exhaust smelled heavy of fuel. At idle (before the idle went bad) it smelled fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Just unhooked the clutch line and put a vacuum gauge on it. It sits rock solid at 19 in Hg.

After some more investigation I noticed that the wire from the ICS was touching the manifold and the plastic cover had partially melted. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Can I cut out the burnt portion of wire and use a crimp connector to reattach?

Also still looking for ideas on why it would be running too rich. From my reading it sounds like the only way to adjust running mixture is by swapping jets.

sounds like a good solution to me (for the idle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom