FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did you see the project 60 in the classifieds? It's not running and #5 & 6 are dead (likely valves), body is pretty nice and interior is clean. I almost bought it, but with pending shoulder surgery (plus I really want an 80 right now) I'm passing. He's down to $750 on it.

just a thought.

Close to me, but I've never seen it.

Thanks Dave. What was last Thursday night? I haven't been on the board for over 3 months...

Don't feel bad Scott, I haven't been on in longer. :eek:

Close but never seen it either. Guessing with big stickers on side windows and bad spelling might belong to a kid? Looks cool though.

Thanks guys, I'm going to see it today. Anything notorious about these rigs I need to keep an eye out for?

It's owned by a boat repair guy in Dana Point, he keeps it locked up at his boat shop and doesn't drive it much. He was fixing it up for a trip to Costa Rica that never happened. I'm gonna offer 2K and negotiate from there. Hopefully we'll be adding another Yota to the family soon.

Good luck

Took a long hard look at this rig last night and the list of items to fix is long. It's more of a project vehicle than a DD right now.

Clutch feels solid
Engine runs fair to good. Don't know compression numbers yet, no apparent oil leaks from motor.

31" steelies with 70% tread on 31 BFG AT's and a new full size spare.

I got underneath it while it was running and right away found a nice hole in the muffler and main gasket was shot. Nuts and bolts rusted solid. Lots of oil/fluid residue all over the left front undercarriage supposedly from a power steering pump leak which has been remedied but I could clearly hear the power steering pump noise while turning tight on the test drive.

Physical problems

• Driver seat pretty much toast
  • Right hand mirror gone.
  • Right rear corner turn signal fixed with signal tape and lots of bondo. Not even sure if you could reinstall a new lens without body work.
  • Right rear inner panel missing
  • Rear tailgate key missing can't lock door.
  • Front left window not set in track does not open but the track mechanism functions
  • Right door key lock missing
  • Reversing lights not functioning
  • Lots of rust around the roof rain gutter, some so bad you could not install a roof rack. Don't know how you replace that?
  • Left rear headliner hanging loose
So my question to you all is.

Pass: too much work?
Make and offer: $1500.00 or less and fix the rig up.
I am a capable mechanic but have very little spare time now..

or other suggestions please...

Is it safe and reliable that should be the first two questions to ask yourself if your kid is going to be getting in it. When you first posted this thread I held myself form replying; "you could do better IMHO."

I would pass personally but maybe you could fill us in on what your price range is for a 60 series.

Run away fast.

Is it safe and reliable that should be the first two questions to ask yourself if your kid is going to be getting in it. When you first posted this thread I held myself form replying; "you could do better IMHO."

I would pass personally but maybe you could fill us in on what your price range is for a 60 series.

We were not looking for a 60 series or even a Toyota for that matter. Just a decent truck type vehicle for under 3K. I would love to build the 60 with my son but this is just not the right time for a project car. I just started making money again after 3 years of sucking out all the savings till they were gone and I need to pay for all that play. ;)

Run away fast.

Probably the right thing to do, Brent. Keep you eyes open for us. Maybe a nice old suburban, something along those lines.

Hi Scotty,

I PM'd you.

Last edited:
That truck looks like it is located on Orozco street in the "Whitegate" area of Riverside. If thats the case, it is an upscale area and the rig was probably maintained fairly well. I have found the more affluent the seller of vehicle is, the more likely they did not skimp on maintenance due to financial constraints. This rule excludes enthusiasts who will maintain the hell out of their toys even if they have to eat Ramen for a month straight.:D

That truck looks like it is located on Orozco street in the "Whitegate" area of Riverside. If thats the case, it is an upscale area and the rig was probably maintained fairly well. I have found the more affluent the seller of vehicle is, the more likely they did not skimp on maintenance due to financial constraints. This rule excludes enthusiasts who will maintain the hell out of their toys even if they have to eat Ramen for a month straight.:D

So true! You nailed the neighborhood, very nice area. This guy bought this rig in Arizona as a potential project rig and never got around to building it. I'm going to see it today. Saw the 62' yesterday and it is a beautiful thing, roll cage, bush bar and more. Purrs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom