FJ60 Wreck. What to keep for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone.
Long time reader, 1st time poster.
I've got a 1976 FJ45 I'm "restoring"
The 2F in it has died and too expensive for me to rebuild. So I have picked up a 1980 FJ60 cheap for its engine.
The question is, what else do I keep of the 60 that could be useful on the 45 before I scrap it.
The FJ60 has front Disc and power steering.
My FJ45 currently has manual steering, 4 wheel drum and no AC. I do however have a yet to be installed Vintage air AC and ALT bracket kit.
I thought I read somewhere that I can use the 60 power steering setup on the 45. If that's true though, what other parts do I need to swap besides box and pump? But in saying that, the pump is RH mounted where as so is the Vintage air kit I have. Is there a way to mount the pump on the LH side instead?

20221231_200519.jpg
20221231_201147.jpg
20221231_201022.jpg
20210826_105700.jpg
20210220_191644.jpg

all power steering, trans, t case, axles, driveshafts, shifters, alot of that stuff will work in a 40, Grab the parking brake lever and cable too.

The entire real axle and housing will transfer. It's an inch of so wider than your original, but you get great parking/emergency brakes and the 60 rear end doesn't require two slave cylinders on each wheel. The drive ratio is 3.7/1 to so you'll need to change the front axle gears to 3.70 to match the rear. Better mpg and higher top speed as a result.

In respect to the P/S some mods are required! However, you get a more modern and direct system.

PS. We do this in Europe because of the scarcity of the original 40-Series P/S parts. Do you really need to do this in OZ, where these parts can be found easier?

Last edited:
60 series P/S is a far superior design to stock 40 series steering… well worth the effort. :D

Ran out of time deciding what to do (vehicle was parkes in a yard it couldn't stat in) so I leave the axles and only took the Power steering pump and box.
I'm not fussed on performance, so staying with the original toyota power steering.
So what I am chasing now is a LH mounted power steering pump bracket.
I'm think thr part no is 44443-60020 but cant find any exact pics to confirm

Would install 8/80+ 40 series rear axle because bolt right in. If your wanting a hand brake on the rear axle use the backing plates and brakes from the 60 series. The split case with not have a hand brake. Will either need to move the handle for the hand brake to the transmission cover orr get creative with a two piece cable. Not sure how hard it would be to source a FJ45 HJ47 split transfer case? Those are the only one with a hand brake. Three pieces from one of those could convert the 60 series transfer case along parts from your current hand brake. Would also use the the FJ45 front axle housing and convert it to disc brake using the 60 series parts. Someone mentioned 3.70:1 diff gears. Doubt your Australian 60 series has those. Most likely has 4.11:1 gears. I'm showing Australia getting 37:9 diff in both your 45 and your 60. Those are 4.11:1 and not 3.70:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom