FJ60 woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are loving the new FJ60, but it went in to the shop today to get the AC fixed. The PO told us it just needed to be charged, but upon putting pressure on it, everything was leaking, the compressor, the evaperotor, the lines, etc.

Got an estimate and ordered parts, pretty much the entire circuit needs to be replaced.... but at least it will be bomb proof after that, my wife needs AC and this will be her daily driver.

We also awoke this morning to "ALL" the antifreeze in our driveway, seems the little hose at the T coming out of the radiator broke or got cut somehow, but after filling the radiator back up it was just pouring out, I was able to get enough in it to get it to the shop.

The engine was also bone dry of oil, I didn't see any leaks and the gauge was at high pressure, so either the gauge doesn't work or it burned all the oil in a matter of days, or the PO drained the oil so it wouldn't caue drips... how knows.... I sure hope he didn't know about that, but the very small amount of oil in the truck was new and clear, there was no black oil, sure I'm not sure how to take that.

I filled it up this morning and watched for leaks. The garage is also going to watch it and look. It's got eyes on it, bu the PO told me it had no major leaks. I like to try and default to people being honest first, but it has eyes on it.

I didn't notice any drips in the driveway prior to yesterday, so again, either it burns an ungodly amount of oil, or it just didn't have any in it...????

Engine oil was replace about 5 months ago, no leaks on the drive way when I had it.
Radiator was bought and installed brand new less the a year ago
Disappointing on the a/c, had 2 mechanics look it over a year or so ago

Sent from my DInc using IH8MUD app

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure why the rad hose was leaking, it looks like it got pinched between the cross member or was somehow pulled off the fitting, again, we also have not noticed any leaks in the driveway, so we are justbwatching it right now, the AC however was a bit of a bite..... the dryer, evap and compressor all need to be replaeced.... $1000.00 in parts, $650 in labor..... guess I,m not putting a Vintage air in the 40 now :crybaby:

I haven't noticed anything else othere than the belt issue, but the tech said he was going to replace with the correct size and leave adjustment in the alternator. We also asked to have a complete tune up and fluid changes... again, this has to be as good as possible, I don't want my wife breaking down on the highway, lol

Other than me breaking the belt, the AC and the rad hose the truck rides great and we are loving it. I know we are going to make some sliders and add some limb risers.

It can take a while to shakedown a new to you rig. If you were burning that much oil, I would think that you would see smoke or drips. Remember these things hold 7 quarts, so being a quart low is not reason for alarm. Stick with it, 60 series Cruisers are worth the trouble!

It can take a while to shakedown a new to you rig. If you were burning that much oil, I would think that you would see smoke or drips. Remember these things hold 7 quarts, so being a quart low is not reason for alarm. Stick with it, 60 series Cruisers are worth the trouble!

He said the engine was bone dry. If he meant the dip stick was dry that would be different.

He said the engine was bone dry. If he meant the dip stick was dry that would be different.

and that's what i would like to know.
was the pan actually empty, or just the dipstick "dry"......very big difference.
the stick does not go to the bottom, so if it is dry, does not mean the pan is empty.

okay good point, the dipstick was only wet on the very end 1/16th... i put 2.5 quarts in this morning to get the dipstick back up to full... i'll try to be more clear, i knew what I meant, but I didn't do a good job of expressing that, sorry guys

okay good point, the dipstick was only wet on the very end 1/16th... i put 2.5 quarts in this morning to get the dipstick back up to full... i'll try to be more clear, i knew what I meant, but I didn't do a good job of expressing that, sorry guys

That's good news. Enjoy your new AC. I paid $$$ to have mine done and have never regretted it.

We are loving the new FJ60, but it went in to the shop today to get the AC fixed. The PO told us it just needed to be charged, but upon putting pressure on it, everything was leaking, the compressor, the evaperotor, the lines, etc.

Got an estimate and ordered parts, pretty much the entire circuit needs to be replaced.... but at least it will be bomb proof after that, my wife needs AC and this will be her daily driver.

We also awoke this morning to "ALL" the antifreeze in our driveway, seems the little hose at the T coming out of the radiator broke or got cut somehow, but after filling the radiator back up it was just pouring out, I was able to get enough in it to get it to the shop.

The engine was also bone dry of oil, I didn't see any leaks and the gauge was at high pressure, so either the gauge doesn't work or it burned all the oil in a matter of days, or the PO drained the oil so it wouldn't caue drips... how knows.... I sure hope he didn't know about that, but the very small amount of oil in the truck was new and clear, there was no black oil, sure I'm not sure how to take that.

Have you already purchased the "new" ac components? I have a parts truck here that I am selling all the A/C stuff off of.

-Seth

You can also get good prices on Denso AC parts from Rex at Coolstream in Tucson- a vendor here on mud.

yes purchased already and install has begun at local shop, we opted for a shop as they will warrenty their work, and as mentioned she has to have the AC,..... houston summers with a new born are not to be played with, lol

The mechanic is having no joy trying trying to repair and mix and match after market with OEM AC parts.
I called and talked with a mechanic at SOR and asked about buying item 32 on page 53, which is the in cab box containing the Evap and expansion valve. My current rig is set up with a no name evap and expansion block, which they can't seem to find in order to replace.

If I ordered item 32 from SOR and replaced the hoses that go from the compressor to the expansion valve and the hose from the dryer to the expansion valve, would that work, also how do I tell if I have the small electric/valve piece that tells the engin to idel up when the AC kicks in?

I called Vintage air, they said they have a kit for the FJ60, but it stops at year 83.... I have an 84, but everything at SOR when ordering parts gives the year dates as 80-85, so would a kit for 83 work on an 84?

Send a pm to this guy. 1972fj55.

Your a/c problems will be over. This is 'THE' a/c contact for LandCruisers and he is a Mud Vendor.

Not affiliated in any way.

John

I was told to give Proffitt Cruisers a call concerning the AC set up. I talked with Jeremiah and he said my current AC set-up was a hodge podge of AC stuff, but that he could put a kit together for me to make hte cruise 100% factory, so looks like that problem is going to be solved. The engine hasn't dropped any oil and is holding full since filling it up.... must have just burned some off before and I got the rad. hose leak fixed, but ordered a rad. hose kit from SOR to bring all those hoses up to new.

Dude, stop posting how often your rig is in the shop. There is nothing on a 60 that you cannot fix. Find some tools, post some specific questions, get your balls out of someone's purse...
Air conditioning would be my last concern. You say the A/C is for your woman? I question that. Real LandCruisers, like mine, didn't even come with A/C as an option. Early LC A/C was a POS anyway. Yank it all out. Except the compressor, maybe it'll work for OBA...York would be better. Might save you 200 pounds and gain you tons of elbow room under the hood. How many days a year do you actually think you need A/C anyway? Ever try just rolling down the windows?
If you REALLY need A/C, or your woman tells you that you do, buy an 80 or a 100 or a 200. Or a highlander.
Quit whining about cold air until you get your oil figured out
EDIT: quit ordering from SOR too.

I thought I just posted that the oil was checking out okay.... guess I didn't make that clear enough, and we are doing the AC work ourselves..??? Thanks for the pep talk though

edit: no AC needed in Houston.... riiigghhhttttt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom