FJ60 with 2F to 3FE from 1992 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched the forums and maybe I am using the wrong phrasing or something but I remember a post about a that had a swap from 2F to 3FE from a FJ80. I could be wrong though(it has happened before). He had said they had done and pm if there were any questions. My questions what do I absolutely need from the FJ80 to get it to run in the FJ60? What obstacles with I have to over come, wiring...etc?

I have searched the forums and maybe I am using the wrong phrasing or something but I remember a post about a that had a swap from 2F to 3FE from a FJ80. I could be wrong though(it has happened before). He had said they had done and pm if there were any questions. My questions what do I absolutely need from the FJ80 to get it to run in the FJ60? What obstacles with I have to over come, wiring...etc?

Think of it this way: your 60 is carbureted...it has no computer and no efi harness. So basically you will want to grab the efi harness, computer, sensors etc. You'll need to follow one of the various guides for brackets and accessories but you have an open book since there is nothing that is in the 60 that will help (from the efi side of the problem).

Thanks I figured I would go over board and get everything out of the engine bay plus maybe some inside bits.

Think of it this way: your 60 is carbureted...it has no computer and no efi harness. So basically you will want to grab the efi harness, computer, sensors etc. You'll need to follow one of the various guides for brackets and accessories but you have an open book since there is nothing that is in the 60 that will help (from the efi side of the problem).

I would take the whole vehicle, then when you find out you need something you overlooked, you've got it covered. I'd also suggest you read about building a 2FE if the bottom end of your 2F is in okay shape.

On that note, why are you wanting to swap in a 3FE? If just to get EFI, there are other good (and easier) options for adding EFI to a 2F.

Been looking for a replace for mine 2F (cracked cylinder head, the bottom is really greasy) and really haven't found any 1980's 2F and say a 1992 FJ80 being parted out. The guy bought it for body panels. I had read they can put the head from the 3FE on the 2F, I might go that route, if the bottom is end is ok

I would take the whole vehicle, then when you find out you need something you overlooked, you've got it covered. I'd also suggest you read about building a 2FE if the bottom end of your 2F is in okay shape.

On that note, why are you wanting to swap in a 3FE? If just to get EFI, there are other good (and easier) options for adding EFI to a 2F.

I had read they can put the head from the 3FE on the 2F, I might go that route, if the bottom is end is ok

This route could save you a lot of time by letting you leave the block in the truck... but be sure to check your cylinder walls carefully while the head is off to make sure your block is worth using. I thought I was in for a head rebuild before I found a crack in my cylinder wall and now it's a full engine swap.

The walls of the cylinders are smooth, no ridges or other geographical features. I can't tell from the outside because it is layers of grease and dirt.

This route could save you a lot of time by letting you leave the block in the truck... but be sure to check your cylinder walls carefully while the head is off to make sure your block is worth using. I thought I was in for a head rebuild before I found a crack in my cylinder wall and now it's a full engine swap.

How easy are they fit and run in a FJ60

If you're going to start fresh with installing fuel injection in a carb'd truck, I'd consider it as it will be better long term. However 1FZ needs mounts and to decide if you want it to be auto or manual which changes what parts and fab will be needed. 3F-E is definitely easier to swap in because it bolts in, no fabrication required.

1FZ is also a very cool factor. Nows your time to be the cool kid at the lunch table.

The cool kid...right. The ease of fitment is what I am most interested in, just trying to get it driving, kid number 2 on the way. Plus cost too.

If you're going to start fresh with installing fuel injection in a carb'd truck, I'd consider it as it will be better long term. However 1FZ needs mounts and to decide if you want it to be auto or manual which changes what parts and fab will be needed. 3F-E is definitely easier to swap in because it bolts in, no fabrication required.

1FZ is also a very cool factor. Nows your time to be the cool kid at the lunch table.

You can run your stock 4 speed or 5 speed behind a 1fz but the bell housing will set you back a solid $1400 iirc. Plus you’ll need a flywheel and clutch etc. and given the current world situation I don’t know the lead time.

A 3fe from a 62 will be an easier install than one from an 80 series. In my opinion, the fuel injection system that came stock on 3fe's will be better than most aftermarket efi "bolt on" systems. You'll need the fuel tank and harness from the 62. A 3fe with a manual behind it is a totally different animal than a 3fe with an auto. I would try to find a 62 rather than an 80 for that transplant. You'll have less extraneous things to match up/ modify in the end to make it work correctly.

Well finding any motor has been the hard part that won't break the bank. Why can't I us the stock tank, maybe, new few pump and better lines?

A 3fe from a 62 will be an easier install than one from an 80 series. In my opinion, the fuel injection system that came stock on 3fe's will be better than most aftermarket efi "bolt on" systems. You'll need the fuel tank and harness from the 62. A 3fe with a manual behind it is a totally different animal than a 3fe with an auto. I would try to find a 62 rather than an 80 for that transplant. You'll have less extraneous things to match up/ modify in the end to make it work correctly.

The cool kid...right. The ease of fitment is what I am most interested in, just trying to get it driving, kid number 2 on the way. Plus cost too.
I have a desmogged 2F cylinder head in Seattle that I need to sell. It has 292k miles on it but doesn’t appear to be cracked. Rebuild it and you might be able to just drop it in and drive.

The easiest, quickest, and cheapest route.

Installing a 3FE into a 60 is no small undertaking. I have done it using a '88 FJ62 as a donor and having an entire parts vehicle to pull from is the best way to approach the swap.

You don't need the 62 tank, you can put an inline pump on your 60 tank. That's how I did my 2fe. If I had a 62 tank, however, I'd rather put a new pump in and use that instead.

I’ve had two times I’ve come across entire 80 setups. Engine, harness, manifolds, wiring harness etc. in both cases right about $750. One even included the auto and transfer case. And in both cases it was just timing. The latest being a couple weeks ago and now I’m really glad I held off given we have a 10% work force reduction coming and I might be jobless as a result.

What other random istems would you have needed for the set up, the price is right for on all that stuff
I’ve had two times I’ve come across entire 80 setups. Engine, harness, manifolds, wiring harness etc. in both cases right about $750. One even included the auto and transfer case. And in both cases it was just timing. The latest being a couple weeks ago and now I’m really glad I held off given we have a 10% work force reduction coming and I might be jobless as a result.

You don't need the 62 tank, you can put an inline pump on your 60 tank. That's how I did my 2fe. If I had a 62 tank, however, I'd rather put a new pump in and use that instead.

I had read that too, I also read that I need new fuel lines to handle the higher pressure of the fuel pump, is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom