FJ60 windshield gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to have my gasket replaced and some rust repaired due to the leaks. It originally had the chrome inserts, however over time came out and were never replaced. I would like to get that look again but can’t seem to find new chrome. Does anyone know if it is possible to have rubber seal locks and then replace them with chrome later?

The chrome is NLA and difficult for most to install. I would be surprised if a locking non-chrome gasket were the same as a chrome-type gasket. Most gaskets (certainly those carried by an auto glass company) now are 1 piece, non-locking - just a plain old rubber gasket.

I am in the same boat on my 62, looking to replace my windshield and keep the stock chrome look. For my 62 it looks like both the gasket and chrome are available on TPD. Not sure if it's the same for a 60.

@SteveH is the chrome too difficult for installers to work with? I got a quote today from a local glass company for $220 if I supply the OEM gasket and chrome.

1631136393450.png

I see on City Racer's site they say this about their rubber gasket with no trim groove "Note: We recommend using this type of replacement windshield weatherstrip over OEM or one with the trim groove, because the molding strip is very laborious and difficult to fit properly even by the most experienced installers."

@dogcruiser - I saw in a Mud thread a picture of a special tool used to seat the chrome into the groove. Something like this:

I'm sure that a guy who had done it a few times could be efficient doing it. I tried to replace just one of the chrome corners that popped out and it about killed me.

1631150443954.png

Now if I could only find a new windsheild! Not one up here in the PNW seems to have the glass. Anyone know of an online windsheild glass supply for an FJ60?

Now if I could only find a new windsheild! Not one up here in the PNW seems to have the glass. Anyone know of an online windsheild glass supply for an FJ60?
I found a place in San Diego that had one and the guy said he can order anytime. NOT OEM but was fairly affordable. I think less than $200. I need to get mine replaced and will look to do next week if possible. I can let you know the name and the price. Not sure how they would ship it though?

I found a place in San Diego that had one and the guy said he can order anytime. NOT OEM but was fairly affordable. I think less than $200. I need to get mine replaced and will look to do next week if possible. I can let you know the name and the price. Not sure how they would ship it though?
I ordered from KOOL KATZ AUTO GLASS - https://koolkatzautoglass.com/ as I could not find one anywhere where I live in FL. It was around $400 shipped. I decided to install it myself cause I also had a tough time finding an installer. Went with a non-chrome gasket and surprisingly was able to install it myself

4F4B394E-49AC-43F5-9BA6-B502B49583E8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom