FJ60 Vs FJ62 Rear Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am in the middle of ordering parts for the rear seatbelt conversion for my FJ60. I have the threaded holes (stoked) I know the upper rear section of the FJ62 seat will work with the FJ60 bottom section, just have to change out the latches. My question is if I wanted to remove my fabric from my upper 60 seat and install it on the 62 seat would it work? Are they the same shape, thickness, etc?

Yeah. I’m going to have a local upholstery shop swap the fabric for me and sew / stitch the headrest holes so they don’t fray. Need to source the inserts too

Brand new seatbelt planet. I want to take my kids in the truck and want new retractors and safety meaures. The components that come black will be painted brown to mimic the OEM components

Has anyone ever measured 2nd gen 4runner rear seats to see if they will fit in a 60? It would be awesome to have a split bench like the 4runners.

Hey, My 82 60 came with a rear 62 seat installed as well as the original 60 seat. The PO had also installed the 62 seat belts. Im considering going back to the 60 as I dont have kids and dont really need the head rest.
Reading this post makes me feel like i should just leave it as is...why do you guys want the 62 seat? for the seatbelts?

For the headrests

If you want to sell your 62 seat let me know.

The 62 seat belts or shoulder belts can be used with the 60 seat it just is safer to have the headrests in Cade of a collision

Last edited:
I have stock seats in my FJ60 and I picked up an FJ62 rear seat because I wanted headrests too. I haven't installed them yet but I confirm what @NookShneer says, the fabric is identical with the exception of the headrest holes.

@joebattle1 - Give me a shout when you install 62 belts. Would like to check it out. I'm in the East Bay too. I've been thinking about adding the belts. i can feel the hole behind the fabric but haven't confirmed if its threaded.

I thought the fabric was different in early 60s vs late 60s. Shape was the same but the print was different. Like wider or something.

@Javelin - sorry i thought you meant the dimension of the seat fabric. i just checked and looks like i'll be doing the same as you bc the fabric is different. i have a 9/85 production FJ60 and it's different than the 62 seat i picked up.

FJ60 (9/85):
full

Fj62 (?):
full

I added headrests to the rear bench in my 60...and three point rear belts from seatbelt planet. I scavenged the headrest tubes from a couple of roached-out front seats. More info. in my Turdle build thread starting on page 3. The Rushing Turdle

IMG_0563[1].JPG
IMG_0566[1].JPG
IMG_0571[1].JPG
IMG_0569[1].JPG
IMG_0579[1].JPG

The headrests were gray and I used vinyl spray paint to change them to brown. I have since found a pair of original brown headrests and they match much better.

I had my local upholstery shop move the fabric from my FJ60 rear seat back to the seat back from my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle. $60 and it worked out great.

That’s great news. I was worried the shape may be slightly off and it wouldn’t go on right.

I added headrests to the rear bench in my 60...and three point rear belts from seatbelt planet. I scavenged the headrest tubes from a couple of roached-out front seats. More info. in my Turdle build thread starting on page 3. The Rushing Turdle

View attachment 1827805 View attachment 1827806 View attachment 1827807 View attachment 1827808 View attachment 1827809

There's the thread I was thinking of. Yea, theres a lot more than one expects to adding headrests to the 60 rear seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom