FJ60 Vs FJ62 Rear Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I am in the middle of ordering parts for the rear seatbelt conversion for my FJ60. I have the threaded holes (stoked) I know the upper rear section of the FJ62 seat will work with the FJ60 bottom section, just have to change out the latches. My question is if I wanted to remove my fabric from my upper 60 seat and install it on the 62 seat would it work? Are they the same shape, thickness, etc?
What did you mean by "just have to change out the latches?" I have found a set of 62 rear seats with good fabric that I plan to swap into my 60. What is entailed with the swap for the rear seat other than just bolting the replacement in?

I'll figure it out when they show up on Friday.

Does anyone know of a way to protect against the same ripping in the fabric that all these cloth seats are doomed to? I have come up short with Googling abrasion resistance.
UV protection on the windows should help preserve the entire interior. ScotchGuard or equivalent can help protect against staining and make cleaning easier later on. Is there any caution I should take for particular fabric cleaners?

I dont really know if there is much to do to protect 30+ year old fabric... I assume using a gentle cleaner and UV protection would be about as far as you can go.

I just expect to have them reupholstered when it gets real bad.

Wow, I gotta commend you guys as “PERFECTIONISTS”. Matching 60 and 62 fabric patterns is one level but installing 62 headrest substructures into 60 rear seat seat-backs is pure sub-genius...job well done.
For my '86 FJ60 build I used the original seats/fabric but the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle door cards - looks good to me. But all are grey, so they're in the same color family. And because I installed an H55f and converted the split transfer case to manual front drive engagement, I used the FJ60 glovebox door (with the correct transfer case shift diagram) in the donor vehicle dash. Just like the fabric, same color family.

Hey, My 82 60 came with a rear 62 seat installed as well as the original 60 seat. The PO had also installed the 62 seat belts. Im considering going back to the 60 as I dont have kids and dont really need the head rest.
Reading this post makes me feel like i should just leave it as is...why do you guys want the 62 seat? for the seatbelts?
I know this is a very late reply, but, in my opinion the 60 rear bench seat is a coffin filler. It’ll snap your neck while it cuts your stomach open and breaks your lower spine. My friend’s mother was a nurse for 50 years in the busiest ER in Atlanta... I have heard horror stories...
The 62 has headrests to keep your neck from snapping back and 3 point belts distribute the load across your chest rather than pinpointing all that force on your waist.
I personally pulled and trashed the rear seat in my 60. I installed a sleeping/storage platform back there and used the area where the seat lived as a large storage bin. Nobody rides with me but my dog and he usually rides shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom