Fj60 valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So just pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves and have a mushroomed push rod on the intake valve for cylinder 3. Do I need to pull the head to replace the pushrod. Should I replace the lifter as well?

Also I found the cap for the pushrod on top of the cylinder head but also found this clip.

View attachment 2866961
I had the same thing happen on my '84 FJ60. I was able to buy a good used $5 pushrod locally at BTB Products in Henderson, NV. You don't need to pull the head, just temporarily loosen the rocker arm assembly enough so that you can pull the old pushrod out and slide a replacement back in.

push rods don't have a "cap" just a sort of trumpet shape at the top. They are one piece and don't look like that cap. Clean the oil off it and post another pic or 2 of it from diff angles.

push rods don't have a "cap" just a sort of mushroom out shape. They are one piece and don't look like that cap. Clean the oil off it and post another pic or 2 of it from diff angles.
They do have a cap, resistance welded on at the factory. Check out my Post #17 here:

They do have a cap, resistance welded on at the factory. Check out my Post #17 here:

Good to know, and I guess it makes sense that they are welded on.

I think everyone over estimates how quickly these engines cool down. It's a large chunk of Cast Iron bolted to another Larger chunk of Cast Iron. That said, doing it could the first time is probably not the worst idea.

I agree. I once tried to do a before (hot) and after (cold) comparison on a 2F. Warmed the engine and adjusted the valves taking note of the setting for each rocker. I then waited for the engine to cool planning to recheck the settings to see how much change occurred between hot and cold. I lost patience waiting for the engine to cool enough to record a difference. At the time hot and cold were objective since I did not have an IR thermometer on hand.

I had the same thing happen on my '84 FJ60. I was able to buy a good used $5 pushrod locally at BTB Products in Henderson, NV. You don't need to pull the head, just temporarily loosen the rocker arm assembly enough so that you can pull the old pushrod out and slide a replacement back in.
Thanks, I have a call into BTB and he's going to check on the part (didn't seemed to thrilled about looking for a single pushrod). Hope to hear back from them tomorrow but in the meantime if anyone has a spare available please let me know.

Thanks, I have a call into BTB and he's going to check on the part (didn't seemed to thrilled about looking for a single pushrod). Hope to hear back from them tomorrow but in the meantime if anyone has a spare available please let me know.
Back then, I had a place just outside Las Vegas, so I was able to drop by. They were very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom