FJ60 Transfer Case & Transmission Rebuild Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am in the process of disassembling my transfer case and transmission in my 84 so that I could replace the inner seal between the two as there was a leak between the two. It appears both the transfer case and the transmission were cracked open before, and the the has 150k miles on it (I bought it with 130k). It generally ran well, a little spongy into 2nd, with an occasional mild grind, sometimes slightly hard to pull out of first going to second, especially when cold.

I have a few questions:

- I am going to change the rear output shaft seal as it was leaking. The front output shaft seal was dry, but since I pulled the companion flange off, should I replace the seal?

- I'll be replacing all the gaskets, and the aforementioned seals. Should I do the bearings too?

- I generally like using new OEM parts, but also considering "rebuild kits" like this and this. Or is there another one that is highly recommended?

- There was a red liquid sealant used the last time it was cracked open. Is that correct? What does Toyota recommend for sealant?

- Before I pull the the main shaft and counter shaft, what are your thoughts on how things look in there? Trying to understand if there is anything that stands out that might solve the 1-2 shift issues. Nothing stands out to me, but I don't look at gears and synchros very often.

IMG_6119.jpg
IMG_6122.jpg
IMG_6123.jpg
IMG_6124.jpg

Last edited:
I did mine a month plus ago. Got the rebuild kit from Georg at Valley Hybrids. Have not gotten the truck into 4W yet... literally just drove it for the first time today after a major engine overhaul. Still need to add my front DS.
But Georg is a good guy and when he’s able will respond to calls and questions. I tried to not bug him to much or too frequently. Have the correct FSM at your side. His video and Ottrams are both very helpful on play and repeat.

Also I was heavily warned to leave the transmission assembly alone. I had pulled the @bsang I edited and noted by** input shaft cover so I did the little oil seal on it and the figure 8 gasket. That was it on the tranny ** other than the top hat cover. ** BOTH of those you don’t have any need to do. I kinda plowed in and removed both before realizing that isn’t necessary in a transfer case rebuild.

I used a red high temp permatex but Ottram recommends a ** red Toyota specific sealer.

Are you replacing the clutch? I’m not one to say much on what’s what but maybe it’s due and the reason some gear are spongy?

** Also on your truck ‘84 would have an adjustable slave cylinder... could be it has too much play and that’s why some gears are spongy.

Last edited:
Also, for the seals, do I have these part numbers correct for an early 84? The parts catalog I have doesn't show part numbers for pre 11/84 cars

Transmission>transfer case seal: 90311-48007
Front output shaft seal: 90311-48010
Rear output shaft seal: 90311-48022

I did mine a month plus ago. Got the rebuild kit from Georg at Valley Hybrids. Have not gotten the truck into 4W yet... literally just drove it for the first time today after a major engine overhaul. Still need to add my front DS.
But Georg is a good guy and when he’s able will respond to calls and questions. I tried to not bug him to much or too frequently. Have the correct FSM at your side. His video and Ottrams are both very helpful on play and repeat.

Also I was heavily warned to leave the transmission assembly alone. I had pulled the cover so I did the little oil seal on it and the figure 8 gasket. That was it on the tranny.

I used a red high temp permatex but Ottram recommends a Toyota specific sealer.

Are you replacing the clutch? I’m not one to say much on what’s what but maybe it’s due and the reason some gear are spongy?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into Georg and Valley Hybrids. FSM is definitely handy.

Good to know on the leaving the trans alone. I'm where you left it. I pulled one c-clip and thought, maybe I don't need to do this.

I did replace the clutch. Oddly, I started getting a bit of slipping in the last few thousand miles, but when I pulled the transmission it looked like there was actually a decent amount of meat still on the clutch. However, the bell housing (and everywhere else) was covered so thick in oil that I really wondered if oil was getting between the clutch and flywheel. Either way, I am also hoping the clutch fixes the shift issue

Also, for the seals, do I have these part numbers correct for an early 84? The parts catalog I have doesn't show part numbers for pre 11/84 cars

Transmission>transfer case seal: 90311-48007
IF you buy the kit from @orangefj45 it will come w/ everything (plus a few extras for 62) so don’t order anything. Kit is way easier. Obviously you can buy from whoever but I find a boxed kit from a vendor who does it hands on is far more my wile because he knows first hand what will be needed. Talk to him too regarding the gear concerns.

3384B4B7-36C0-4228-BC29-8B57D8DCFA73.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into Georg and Valley Hybrids. FSM is definitely handy.

Good to know on the leaving the trans alone. I'm where you left it. I pulled one c-clip and thought, maybe I don't need to do this.

I did replace the clutch. Oddly, I started getting a bit of slipping in the last few thousand miles, but when I pulled the transmission it looked like there was actually a decent amount of meat still on the clutch. However, the bell housing (and everywhere else) was covered so thick in oil that I really wondered if oil was getting between the clutch and flywheel. Either way, I am also hoping the clutch fixes the shift issue
Prob your rear main seal.

Rebuilding the transfer case is not much more difficult than making something out of tinker toys. The transmission is a completely different story.

My thoughts on the transmission:
Do not attempt disassembling the transmission if you don't thoroughly understand how they work. Its very easy to wreck one trying to take it apart and put it back together. Also working on it will require special pullers that have to be fabricated since the tools required aren't available to buy.
And even if you did happen to have the correct SSTs to work on it, you wouldn't have the years of experience a transmission shop tech has when faced with an obstacle.
Some bearings can be extremely difficult to pull even when using the correct puller and it's very likely that you could get stuck, mid way in the project, unable to go further because a bearing simply won't budge no matter what you do.

The reason it's getting harder and harder to shift is because it's wearing out. Especially the synchronizers. While the worn synchros may be talking to you now, everything inside the case has worn pretty much equally. That means every bearing and synchro should be replaced.
And even after replacing "almost everything" you'd still be left with a transmission with worn gears.

The job turns into a major overhaul and very expensive just to buy parts (if you can find them).

My advice for the transmission- drive it until it seizes or rattles apart. Then REPLACE it with the 5 speed.

Rebuilding the transfer case is not much more difficult than making something out of tinker toys. The transmission is a completely different story.

My thoughts on the transmission:
Do not attempt disassembling the transmission if you don't thoroughly understand how they work. Its very easy to wreck one trying to take it apart and put it back together. Also working on it will require special pullers that have to be fabricated since the tools required aren't available to buy.
And even if you did happen to have the correct SSTs to work on it, you wouldn't have the years of experience a transmission shop tech has when faced with an obstacle.
Some bearings can be extremely difficult to pull even when using the correct puller and it's very likely that you could get stuck, mid way in the project, unable to go further because a bearing simply won't budge no matter what you do.

The reason it's getting harder and harder to shift is because it's wearing out. Especially the synchronizers. While the worn synchros may be talking to you now, everything inside the case has worn pretty much equally. That means every bearing and synchro should be replaced.
And even after replacing "almost everything" you'd still be left with a transmission with worn gears.

The job turns into a major overhaul and very expensive just to buy parts (if you can find them).

My advice for the transmission- drive it until it seizes or rattles apart. Then REPLACE it with the 5 speed.

Thanks for the insights on the transmission. I am now not going further, and just going to reseal the front and top gaskets.

Does anyone know the Toyota part # for proper sealant?

I've decided to move forward with OEM parts as I already have picked up a few. I just need to confirm this seal part numbers as my year is not listed in the catalog:
Transmission>transfer case input shaft seal: 90311-48007

Thanks for the insights on the transmission. I am now not going further, and just going to reseal the front and top gaskets.

Does anyone know the Toyota part # for proper sealant?

I've decided to move forward with OEM parts as I already have picked up a few. I just need to confirm this seal part numbers as my year is not listed in the catalog:
Transmission>transfer case input shaft seal: 90311-48007
@OTRAMM says it in his video... maybe written in the description too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom