fj60 transfer case coming out of 4 wheel high (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving today on some less than great roads and was using the 4 wheel high range selection on my transfer case..it went good for a little and popped out into 2wd..I tried it a few times and it help OK but still seemed to pop out every once in awhile...obviously it can only go from high to 2wd; and 4wd low it worked fine. No noises came out of it or grinding...is there a retainer or anything that would wear out?? By the way my cruiser is an 85 fj60 with no mods other than a smog eliminator

I had the same problem, it turned out to be the inner shifter boot. It was hardened from old age. I made a couple cuts to allow the shifter to move freely again and no more problems

Bungie cord!:D

If it's not one of the previously mentioned, just behind the front output on the outside of the t-case is either a bolt with a spring and ball bearing behind it or a sending unit with two wires coming from it
( engages the 4WD light on the dash if you have one). The sending unit has a spring loaded ball bearing integrated into the assembly. The ball bearing rests in a groove in the shift fork shaft which helps keep the shift lever in the position you put it in. If the spring in either the sender or behind the bolt breaks or either piece backs off out of the case the shift fork will flip positions too easily and pop out of gear. There is another on top of the case that hold the HI/neutral/low range shift fork

OK sweet. Thanks wizard..bungie cord may be next!! Lol

Check your motor mounts.

I second this, your drivetrain may be sagging back a little bit from a bad mount, which COULD in theory make your shift lever hit the boot, and get pushed out of gear.

FWIW, my truck has been having the same problem. I also started to notice a grinding noise on steep hills in 4Ed; turned out to be a completely torn drivers side motor mount, causing my engine fan to hit the shroud. I haven't had a chance to get it in 4x4 since then, so only time will tell if it fixed the shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom