FJ60 Tire Opinions one more time... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I have heard some opinions on the right tires for on-off road use on my Stock FJ60, which is about to get the H55F 5 speed and 2" OME suspension lift. I am considering 4 different 31" to 32" tires for the truck...

1. BFG A/T KOs on 15" x 8" Rockcrawler rims

2. Interco TrXus Mud Terrains on 15" x 8" Rockcrawler rims

3. GoodYear Wrangler MT/R on 15" x 8" Rockcrawler rims

4. Cooper Discoverer SSTs on 15" x 8" Rockcrawler rims

It would help me a lot if more experienced FJ60 drivers would comment on their experience and recommendations on these tires behind a stock 2F. I will be doing a lot of on highway driving and s fair amount of secondary raods and moderate trail work. I need tough sidewalls - as I have had a number of cut sidewalls running the rocky roads in the western backcountry.

Thanks again

Mike S

Mike,

I have a 62. I ride Bridgestone M/T. I know that is not an option you have listed but why not consider the BFG M/T instead of the A/T?

The interco is way too much tire for the highway. I was just a run talking to a guy that only puts em on for offroading and he said around 60-65MPH on his new jeep, they are so rouch and loud they basically rattle his fillings loose.

If I were you I would definately go with 32" mud terrain tires. They will give you the agressive tread you are looking for but they aren't insane like the intercos are. Don't go with Dunlop, weak sidewalls. If you want to consider the Bridgestones, which are quiter on the highway than the BFG M/T, but not as stellar in the mud, check out the pic. It's of my tire.

Hope this helps...

Of the tires you have listed I would use the Goodyears. If you had included the BFG MT it would be a harder choice. I've run all but the Interco and I've heard enough bad I won't even try those. The BFG A/T is a good enough tire for the asphault and for dirt roads but in anything loose or any side slope and you're done. Three or four weeks ago we were exploring old mining trails. A few of us had gone right up a particular trail that had a sidehill section made of loose material that had sluffed off. The vehicle running A/Ts slid right off. Without help he was not to make any more forward progress. Good luck with your decision.

Guess I should look at the BFG Mud Terrains, then!

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=4583;start=msg34583#msg34583 date=1061751059]
2. Interco TrXus Mud Terrains on 15" x 8" Rockcrawler rims
... I will be doing a lot of on highway driving
[/quote]

Fantastic off-road-sticky tire is the trxus mt, but they wear horribly :-\ on the highway. Are you open to even further options? Many people are big lovers of the BFG AT, but I find other more value (bang for my buck) on tires other than these; I used to run them religiously, but have had even better luck with BigO scary enough.

MT Km's 32x11.50 on 15x8 rock crawlers :D

3FJ40, I'll check it out. Deep South, thanks for posting the photo... looks like about the limit for non radical lift and without metal trimming. I think 31's are gonna be the size, MudRak suggested 31" GY Wrangler MT/R. I will look at BigO :-\before I whip out the plastic.

Called the local GoodYear dealer, and they quoted $169 per tire. After a short discussion, he came up with $129 per tire. Now I am working on him to mount and balance for free. :D

Five speed, new clutch, seals, hoses, belts go in next week.

Mike S

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=4583;start=msg34984#msg34984 date=1061860416]
I think 31's are gonna be the size... I will look at BigO :-\before I whip out the plastic.
[/quote]

Actually, I wasn't suggesting too much BigO. They are an okay tire. Here's my experience:

I wanted to get a big tire (big back in like 1997/1998) and everyone was getting 285/75s. I just knew that things were going `up' and everyone was buying bigger. Anyway, the best price I found for 315/75s was from BigO. Everyone said so-so/stay-away/undecided on them. Well, I figured at the price they were giving me, I could buy two for the price of other vendors.

So I bought these XTs. They aren't perfect, but they are a heck of a lot better than the BFG ATs. I thought I'd just wear them down and/or have to sipe them in the snow. It turns out I've never blown one out, they've laster me FOREVER on both highway and a LOT of long-dstiance Moab driving.

Anyway, if you ARE open to different ideas, I have always had a very high respect for Dunlop. They make a Rover AT and a Rover MT that are very rarely run on Cruisers. I don't really know why people don't run them more. They are a steal right now price-wise and they are simply bulletproof. They ride well and wear like nothing I've ever seen. Very possibly something you should consider. The Dunlop Mud Rover's will be my next tire. And right now you can easily talk retailers down as the vendor (Dunlop) has an incredible deal to the retailers now. Not affiliated...blah...blah...

But to my first point, are you sure you just want 31s? If the tire lasts you a while you aren't considering something bigger?

Thjanks for all your input, gentlemen ;)

3FJ40... Nope. I'm not sure that I won't want bigger tires later.

Much of my driving is highway in mountainous areas (Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho...) and I don't want a tire so big that I need to downshift to get up a moderate grade. Since I am putting in a 5 speed with OD 5th, my final drive ratio with the 31" tire will be taller than the the 32" running 1:1 and the same RE.

Soooo... I figure that I need big enough height not to cripple me in the ground clearnce, small enough for good on and off road torque - given the 2F and the 3.73 RE. The 5 speed changes the game a little because it's 4.84 in low, and .85 in 5th. About a 15% OD. The tire shouldn't be TOO big.

This is my story, and I'm stickin' to it... 8)

Yeah,
Often it really doesn't matter if a thread is 15 yrs or 15 minutes old at Mud.
The answers to a question from an original post are helpful to everyone years down the line.
If we feel we have something constructive to add to a thread, it is almost our duty to do so.

As we all know, all of Mud's threads get searched by the web search engines and are archived forever. Many people find these threads from searching from their favorite web search monster and not on mud.
The information is always relevant.
I felt like adding my 2 cents about 31" tires too.

So I will...
Personally I think any tire over 31" with the stock 3.70 diff gears is way lame, especially with the H55F 5 speed. If you buy 32's, after the ego thrill is gone, and you've driven on them for a few months, you will be bumming and wish you got 31's if you have stock 3.70 diffs.

IMO 32" tires need 4:10 diff gears.

Agreed.. I know lots of guys do 33's w/ 3.70.
But if they experienced 33's w/ 4:10's they would never go back to 3.70's... guaranteed.

I liked my BFG AT's. The sidewalls were always said to be weak (same for the KM2). I never had any problems though.

Behind my 2F I was still able to go anywhere on the trail I wanted to comfortably. Highway cruising was great with the 33's I had. Granted I didn't climb long grades often, if ever... Texas.

I now have KM2's. No complaints there.

I think the new AT KO2 should be in the mix. I've read they have improved sidewalls.

NOTE: this post was edited to give better info to the OP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom