FJ60 TBI Fuel Injection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Coming soon! A work in progress.

I'm not the kind of guy who wants to hide anything from you. I have to make money off what I sell to you. That being said I have no intentions of raking any of my customers over the coals on these systems. This is still a work in progress and I have quite a few weeks left in getting the throttle cable figured out and figuring out what to include in the kit and what not to. My intentions in doing this was to give you something you could bolt on. Or at least provide you with the simplest way in doing this. So if you have questions fire away. That is what I'm here for plus I need to figure out how I'm going to word all this. I'm not going to put pricing on any of this yet but you can rest assure that the GEN 1 kit will be sub 1500 shipped to your door.

GEN 1 with Dizzy

Base GM unit w/distributor (modified 3fe distributor)

This is the same basic TBI unit you see in most TBI 2f conversions. The ecu mounts in the glove box or inside the cab. Though I prefer the glove box. It comes with all the adapters and hardware to install this complete system minus the fuel lines.

GEN 1 without dizzy

The DIYer. If you have some fab skills and just want a basic system this is for you. This is the same basic TBI unit you see in most 2f conversions. The ecu mounts in the glove box or inside the cab. Though I prefer the glove box. It comes with all the adapters and hardware to install this complete system minus the fuel lines and the dizzy which you will have to convert your own to work.

GEN 2 w/ DUI distributor

This isn't the basic system. It's a converted GM OBD II system. It's also an under the hood system if that is where you want to put it. Meaning it's waterproof. So that means you won't have to cut very big holes in your firewall for this to work.

GEN 2 without distributor

This isn't the basic system. It's a converted GM OBD II system. It's also an under the hood system if that is where you want to put it. Meaning it's waterproof. So that means you won't have to cut very big holes in your firewall for this to work. It doesn't include a distributor so you will need to modify your distributor.

Fuel lines

You have 3 options.

1. Figure out your own system.

2. High pressure rubber fuel lines with fuel pressure gauge.

3. -6AN braided stainless steel lines with all -6 AN fittings. It won't be cheap but as I told one customer you will want to take them with you if you sell your cruiser.

What's included in all kits.

-Throttle cable adapters and pedal.
-Rebuilt TBI unit with Flow Matched Injectors
-ECM (rebuilt and tested GM production)
-Complete wiring harness
-Ignition coil
-Adapter plate, gaskets, hardware
-External Electric fuel pump with filter
-Fuel pump relay
-Power relay
-Coolant sensor
-MAP sensor
-Heated O2 sensor
-Vacuum lines
-Check engine indicator
-Installation instructions
-My customer service

Nice! I still haven't put on my carb yet, but I may have to look into this. Post some before and after mpg stats when you can. I know there are many advantages other than mpg, but I was just curious. Also for tentative buyers, I can tell you Trollhole is a very honest and professional vender. Thanks

DUI

I've already got a DUI distributor and a Weber. Can I get the DUI recurved to work with the TBI?

I think he's offering a kit for the DUI, but I'm curious as well.

"GEN 2 w/ DUI distributor

This isn't the basic system. It's a converted GM OBD II system. It's also an under the hood system if that is where you want to put it. Meaning it's waterproof. So that means you won't have to cut very big holes in your firewall for this to work. "

Marshall, will this be smog legal or require a smog delete?

I sent my DUI back to Memphis and they converted the vacume advance to a 7 pin. I'm not an expert but I don't think there is a "recuve" at that point I think the computer does that for you but i'm sure someone that knows better will chime in. It cost 125$ about 5 months ago.

What ECM does the Gen 2 system run? An OBDII TBI system seems interesting.

How are you handling the chips for the Gen 1 system? Are you buring 24 pin chips somehow, or are you converting the ECM to 28 pin chips? I'm curious since I helped some friends of mine "TBI" various vehicles and I have been converting the ECM to a 28 pin socket, but the price and EOL of the 28 pin chip has got me wondering about how to upgrade to something else.

Marshall, will this be smog legal or require a smog delete?

Smog Delete. It's just to hard to get it through all the smog police.

I've already got a DUI distributor and a Weber. Can I get the DUI recurved to work with the TBI?

You will have to get it converted over. Pretty sure Davis will do this for you.

I sent my DUI back to Memphis and they converted the vacume advance to a 7 pin. I'm not an expert but I don't think there is a "recuve" at that point I think the computer does that for you but i'm sure someone that knows better will chime in. It cost 125$ about 5 months ago.

There you go Should have read the rest of the posts before I responded.

Dealing with performance may have been one of the greatest Landcruiser build experiences I had. My buddy was moving to Memphis so on his house hunting trip he dropped my dizzy off at their place with promise to return the following week. I had already given them my info and told them I wanted to save on shipping. They fed ex ed my dizzy back to me at no charge had it by Wednesday with a note saying they figured I didn't want to wait and enjoy. Good people and sorry for the hyjack.

Following with interest.

Would this work in an FJ40 that has an FJ60 2F?

If we can figure out a smog hack, that would be good, as the Ca smog issues is not going away for our FJ60s.

Last edited:
Folks just got thru driving the new fuel injector installed by Trollhole in my 60. OMG you can not believe the difference from the webber. Now I did not get to do any off camber stuff yet(I was only home for a few hours as I passed thru to another assignment) but it starts cold on call, idles smoother than it ever did with toyota or webber carbs. Throttle response is adequate and the overall perfomance seems smoother and I bet with time the mileage will increase. Can you say I am happy with the conversion you better bet the farm that I am. And the service Marshall gave on the install went way above anything you would expect. Got to say it loud and proud Thank you Marshall for coming up with this install. :cheers:

@indian doc. Thanks for the review. I really wish I had been able to support troll on my conversion but it was before this thread took off. Please keep us posted on the mileage over time. I should be back up this week with a fresh 2f w/tbi same idea but from affordable fuel injection and I'm curious how mileage will improve.

Mileage has increased but I found an error in my calculations so I'm not going to tell you the number till I can check it(on a measured distance dang that oversize tire ratio crap) again and this time not make that same stupid mistake. But it is higher than the 8 miles per gallon I was getting with the webber. :)

Question about the obd2 computer you chose

Hi, Marshall,

I'm a kind of a newbie, but I have been doing a lot of research on TBI for about a year, and have almost all of the parts I need to get started on the install in my '74 FJ40.

Are you using the ecm from the G30 van 5.7L from '96? I am really interested in doing this. If you have any info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bret Arneson

The Gen II system uses a marine ObdII system. So if I told you a number it wouldn't make any sense. The ECU is waterproof. That means it works as well above water as it does under it. Should have pricing this weekend.

How is your TBI adapter ,I'am doing the AFI conversion now and their adapter has issues, grind this mill that,does your adapter make the TBI connection clear the valve cover.

Cheyenne, I had to cut their adapter to fit not a big deal. It's actually better if you cut it you can TIG the throttle cable bracket in place. I'm having some issues with their chip and hope to get a new one soon. I'll try and post pictures in a build thread some day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom