FJ60 stereo power wire connection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m installing an aftermarket radio in my 1981 FJ60. I am installing all new wires (vehicle came without original radio).

Where would you suggest to connect the constant power (yellow wire) and the switched power source (red wire)? Both must be connected for the stereo to power on. Thanks for your assistance!

from crutchfield:

• A switched power source is only on when the ignition is keyed. Connect your new stereo's main (switched) power lead – usually a red wire – to a switched power source, so that the stereo will turn off when you turn off the car, and not drain your vehicle's battery.
  • A constant power source is always on. Connect your new stereo's memory lead – usually a yellow wire – to a constant power source, so that you don't lose your radio station presets, tone control presets, and clock settings every time you turn off the vehicle.

Last edited:
you should still have an unconnected plug that would be for the optional OEM radio. It would be behind the panel that covers up where the radio would be. This should give you switched power, but maybe not the constant power. There was also an optional clock, which had a constant power feed, but if you can't find that, then there is the inspection (light) socket under the dash near the glove box that has constant power going to it (from the dome light circuit). You might have to poke around and test out your unused plugs with an electrical meter.

I've attached a wiring diagram for the 1981 FJ60.

Attachments

• 1981 wiring diagram.pdf
    556.4 KB · Views: 297
The fuse labeled ENGINE in the fuse box is a switched power source.

Here is another page from the manual with some information on the plugs for the radio. I can't find more information about the clock.

Attachments

• Radio Circuit Diagram.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 191
I used the constant from the inspection light socket since my dash swap eliminated that need. You can easily depin the plug and turn it into a two pin connector and run both accessories. For USA FJ60s, there isn't any plug for the clock on the dash harness. There is only one 'unused' plug on the harness and it's a switched +12v, not constant for the optional power antenna.

Last edited:
Glad to see this. I’m about to replace the AM FM radio is mine!

Run a 14 or 16ga Primary wire directly to the battery with an in-line fuse as close to the battery as possible. The 60 series Fuse block to my knowledge doesn’t have an EXTRA 12v constant supply. I would avoid tapping into any other Constant supply in the harness to avoid overloading the circuit (even though the draw is minimal- better safe than sorry).

I would also be concerned about the switched power. While the constant supply is only for the "radio's" memory and maybe some lights, the switched power is for the amplifier, tuner, etc. Todays units put out, and require, much more power than the stock unit.

I would also be concerned about the switched power. While the constant supply is only for the "radio's" memory and maybe some lights, the switched power is for the amplifier, tuner, etc. Todays units put out, and require, much more power than the stock unit.

Backwards.. actually in MOST cases.. the battery supply voltage will be powering the units internal Amp, outputs, processing etc. The ACC wire (red) is for turn on only. I believe there are some oddball decks where it is the other way around. You can usually tell by the size of the yellow vs red wire and/or which is fused on the unit. I would check the owners Manual for conformation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom