fj60 stalls - fuel or electrical or ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 86 fj60 with 310k miles (I bought new and it's been very carefully maintained) sometimes stalls on steep, bumpy 4wd grades and sometimes on sharp turns. Rpms just drop to nothing. Sometimes starts right away, sometimes not. When it does start, sometimes idles rough for awhile, somtimes idles fine. Twice I've had to get it rolling downhill, then crank on it to get it to start. Altitude seems not to be a factor as it's happened in Denver, but I've also been as high as 13200 feet without it happening. Steep and very bumpy and/or sharp turns seem to cause it. This is a new issue as I've been driving many of these 4wd roads for years without this problem. Carb kit components installed by excellent independent Toyota mechanic I've used for years didn't help; fuel filter replaced; fuel pump good. Shaken all the wires/connections while it's running with no results. Any ideas? Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

The fact that it nearly stalls and then idles rough and then corrects itself makes me think its a fuel problem. Electrical problems don't normally fix themselves that easily. Thats about all the thoughts I have. ???

When I bought my '40, it ran great at all speeds, well, that's a LIE. It RAN at all speeds, albiet rough, But when I parked it in an uphill for any length of time, the fuel pump did not have enough to pump the fuel uphill to the carb and would not start. There's a way to check the fuel pump output and see if it is OK, but "I cannot recall those figures at this time, even if they were ever a part of my records, which I'm sure they were NOT" ;)
Synopsis: FWIW..Still suspect fuel pump
Ed :)

That means either get a guage or rig an electric. If you get a guage I think it should read at least 4 psi. IIRC

It is a carb issue. The fuel pump pumps into the bowl. The float determines how much fuel to let in. Fuel pump issues happen all the time usually or at speed/hi rpm. The gas is sloshing around and causing it to stall out. Contact Jim C or Kruizertek on POR for deatiled answers. SOunds like it is flooding or gasping when you get off camber with bumps. Sure it is not a holley?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom