FJ60 Spring Hanger Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cps432

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone,

I have a spring hanger on my '87 FJ60 that seems to have taken a massive hit. It was like this when I bought the truck a year and a half ago. I didn't realize it was this bad until I tried to pull it apart today. I though I could just hammer it back into place, but it seems to have worn through quite a bit from rubbing on the leaf spring. I have a new hanger pin and bushings. Any suggestions on what to do about the hanger itself?
It's the rear passenger side and I'm looking to keep it stock height.
For what it's worth, I'm in Boulder Colorado.

Thanks for your time.

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

You might also try and take the pin off and get the spring out of the way and try and straighten it out. My first though was I'd unbolt my bench vice and clamp it on there and try and flatten it out.

Call Brandon in Salida at Classic Cruisers. He'll probably have one or two he can pull. There's no welding on those. Cut the rivets and replace with Gr 8 hardware including all metal locknuts. Not too far from you

Home
Oh yeah.... I feel like an idiot. I sold Brandon an '84 about the time I got this one. I should call him! Thanks!

edit: I'm assuming you've got to drill through the other side of the frame to get the bolts through?

Last edited:
You might also try and take the pin off and get the spring out of the way and try and straighten it out. My first though was I'd unbolt my bench vice and clamp it on there and try and flatten it out.
That's what I had hoped to do, but upon closer inspection you can see that there's 10% of the steel left where the leaf spring is rubbing against it. I just don't trust it. Besides, the hole for the pin is elongated and would never hold the new pin correctly. I have a feeling that this is throwing something out alignment with my rear end. I've had a shudder upon deceleration that seems to manifest in the drive shaft. Everything is in balance and the U-Joints are brand new, so something else is causing it to bind up. I'm thinking the axle angle is off a hair. It's as if the body is slowing at a different rate than the suspension and axles and is causing the drive shaft to bind a little bit. Or it's worn the U-Joints out really really fast.

Oh yeah.... I feel like an idiot. I sold Brandon an '84 about the time I got this one. I should call him! Thanks!

edit: I'm assuming you've got to drill through the other side of the frame to get the bolts through?

I think the frame is open there. I've replaced them before and moved them for longer springs

That's what I had hoped to do, but upon closer inspection you can see that there's 10% of the steel left where the leaf spring is rubbing against it. I just don't trust it. Besides, the hole for the pin is elongated and would never hold the new pin correctly. I have a feeling that this is throwing something out alignment with my rear end. I've had a shudder upon deceleration that seems to manifest in the drive shaft. Everything is in balance and the U-Joints are brand new, so something else is causing it to bind up. I'm thinking the axle angle is off a hair. It's as if the body is slowing at a different rate than the suspension and axles and is causing the drive shaft to bind a little bit. Or it's worn the U-Joints out really really fast.
Didn't study those pictures close enough. Yeah that's a bummer. Hopefully that's it and nothing else is tweeked giving you those vibrations.

Bending steel in tight quarters is a PITA. I can be done. x2 on the removal of the spring/bushing and get her glowing red and she might move. Grinding and removing rivets is a pain.

Resurrecting this thread...

So I’ve been riding on this busted leaf hanger for as long as I’ve had the truck. I’ve sourced the new part and have been putting off the welding job. I keep going back and forth with learning to weld myself and just having somein else do it for me.

Problem is most shops are booked up for several weeks or more and I would really like to just get it done so I can move on.

Question, is anybody out here in Boulder or Longmont who can weld in their garage and would you be willing to help me out and teach me while we tackle this one afternoon? I will bring the beers and steaks.
E8BF4448-8AC7-45CB-AA83-9E6F7294648D.jpeg

You don’t need to weld that. Drill/grind the 4 rivets out of the donor. Drill/grind the 4 off your truck and bolt the donor on.
It’s boxed in. I can’t get bolts through the top and brake lines are in the way on the other side. I’ve debated that.

Grinding those rivets off is much harder than you think. If your are going to take the rivets off use a air chisel. Seeing as you're new to welding don't trust your work in this critical area. Practice welding on floor repairs and small patches in non vital areas of the frame. One thought is to cut a square hole out on the inside of the frame across from the hanger ...then you have access to bolt the hanger. Then weld up the hole you cut and weld the hanger for extra measure. Of course this does involve bending or moving some brake lines.

Might be easier to just take it to a welder someone with 220v like 180amp or better and can make some beefy beads

Here are some pics of the back and top of the frame. I don’t see any way to bolt it on with the cross member where it is.
96482243-2360-4B52-AF7B-8267B61628D8.jpeg
AD334E2A-FF7F-4909-8558-08C2C5361388.jpeg

That’s so clean it’ll be a piece of cake. And rivets are easier imo w/ a grinding disc on a dremel. Takes longer but less meat off so fast, forces you to take your time and watch. If your comfortable I know someone who welds possibly near you... I tag the person and send them a text too.... blanking on their mud name. I contacted them. I’ll luk soon as I hear.

When I was looking for a machine shop I was driving around town and saw a 60 parked next door to a driveline shop. Parked at Brazin’ Hussies! Nobody was around so I didn’t talk to anyone. That place is about 200 feet away from where I stand!

When I was looking for a machine shop I was driving around town and saw a 60 parked next door to a driveline shop. Parked at Brazin’ Hussies! Nobody was around so I didn’t talk to anyone. That place is about 200 feet away from where I stand!
I’ve textd w/ the mud member so they know your coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom