FJ60 Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Left California, now I live in Ohio so considering a desmog. What are the benefits of desmog? Performance? What is the bad?

I’d keep it smogged. Believe it or not, it’s worth more with that stuff in place. Living near metro Denver, I’d be looking for a smogged 60. I don’t think most people want a trailer queen. They want a Cruiser they can plate and drive. Just my 2 cents.

well, you dont have to worry about vacuum leaks. I think there are over 50 vacuum lines that you get to remove. You also replace the air pump with a dummy pulley so you dont have to worry about that going out. Cleaner engine bay and I believe my weber carb and headers gave me a performance boost....or maybe my engine could just breath easier after removing all that junk along with the cats. Throwing in an H55 didnt hurt, but cruising along at 70-75 on the freeway now is not a problem.

A lot of it is just preference. I use mine a lot for hunting so wanted to limit the time I spent under the hood and have been very happy with mine desmogged, but then again, I live in TX and never plan to relocate.

The miles of vacuum hoses are so depressing to look at, that getting rid of most of it for that reason alone makes it worth it.
God how I hated seeing the stock emissions rats nest of tubing under the hood. Bummed out my day.

The engine bay of the USA FJ60 was the pinnacle in electo-pneumatic insanity. No engine ever built previously or afterwards contained as many vacuum hoses and pipes as the 2F engine. It was the last of its kind. EFI took over from then on out.

Last edited:
The biggest benefit of a desmog is posting pix of your clean engine bay and pissing off us Kalifornians who still have to submit.

:grinpimp:

:moon:

The miles of vacuum hoses are so depressing to look at, that getting rid of most of it for that reason alone makes it worth it.
God how I hated seeing the stock emissions rats nest of tubing under the hood. Bummed out my day.

The engine bay of the USA FJ60 was the pinnacle in electo-pneumatic insanity. No engine ever built previously or afterwards contained as many vacuum hoses and pipes as the 2F engine. It was the last of its kind. EFI took over from then on out.
Apparently you’ve never peeked under the hood of a carbureted Honda before? That was the Japanese approach at the time. I guess they don’t test in “oblivion” where you reside?

If you have a failed HAC or BVS etc it could cause problems on start up or if you go from one elevation to an other. The HAC in my 60 was stuck from being at elevation in Colorado for a long time. Getting rid of that stuff and installing Holley EFI really woke that engine up. I have 284,600 something miles on it and it’s stronger than I’ve ever had it before and I have some exhaust leaks. Just drove it across country completely loaded down and it started and ran great with no issues whatsoever. Desgmogging was maybe the best mod I’ve done next to the 5 speed and Holley sniper efi.

You live in Boulder and don’t have to test? Registered in Montana? Maybe kept the cat?
Kept the cat. Pulled the smog crap and left Boulder for Florida where I don’t have to pass emissions. I do plan on going to Montana in the near future where I also won’t worry about emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom