Fj60 Shaking tons after 30 mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if this is the case for me. I have a weird feeling that is what the problem is. Thanks,
The only adjustment you will have is toe in. . There's no reason your caster will be off with the addition of a spacer. Loosen the clamps at each end of the tie rod. Check to se if you can actually rotate the tie rod or is it rusted in place. grab a pipe wrench and drive down the road until you get the death wobble. Note the speed when it occurs.
Stop , get out and rotate the tie rod one revolution and repeat the drive. If it gets better you know your on the right track. If it gets worse, rotate the rod back one revolution to the start point and continue another revolution in that direction. Repeat the drive .
If nothing else , it helps you understand the relationship between alignment position and a stable front end. I run through this after every rod end swap

Well, no, not so much, not really, maybe a little bit.

Even though 40 series with no PS came with factory steering stabilizers, the stabilizer did next to nothing as far as saving your thumbs. If you held the steering wheel wrong and hit a big hole or rock or stump with one front wheel, they'd bust you up pretty quick.

60's have power steering which definitely cuts out a lot of steering wheel kick back.
The stabilizer is there mainly to prevent / resist steering oscillation. (like DW)
not discounting what you are saying as your theory is sound. just going by my experience over a handful of decades n numerous trucks.
the first kickback was enough to tell me "keep your thumbs outta the f%&kin' spokes" ah huh, yup

Tires are huge... don’t overlook. Other than that...
check

U bolts
Tre’s
Shackles
Stabilizer
Wheel bearings
Knuckle bearings
Alignment
Wheel balance

Lastly. Ujoints and shaft balance

If none of that fixes it... you got a bent wheel haha
this list is pretty much complete. the only thing i'd add would be spring bushings. my thinking for that is wore out, baffed bushings won't hold an axle square to the frame. therefore changing steering geometry

Hello All,
Update:

I got the cruiser to @cruisermatt 's shop last week.
He was kind enough to look at the truck and double check the TRE, u bolts, and some other components.
20211112_183623[1].jpg

Looks like the shaking can be from the tires or maybe the brakes. Not sure still. After a test drive, we got it to shake around 45 to 50 MPH and it is happening when ths cruiser slows down. I noticed that the worst of the shaking is when I am slowing down. (From 40 to around 30 mph, but it shont shake from 30 to 40 or 50)
Matt is going to get it into the shop in the next few weeks to get it on the lift and see what else we can troubleshoot.

On the other hand, the 4wd H and low shifter needs to be done still, but Matt think he can get it done once it is on the lift.
Finger cross, we will get this issue resolved once and for all in the next few weeks.

20211112_183749[1].jpg

BTW: He said the TRE were fine. I do think the truck needs an alignment. (maybe later on).

I did drive it to his shop and back and to a friends house over the weekend and if i keep it around 35 to 40 mph, no shaking occurs, unless i have to break fast.

I also SCORED A brand new (FREE!!) t-shirt from his shop!
Thanks @cruisermatt !!!! I used it last weekend! Pretty nice.

I will keep you all posted, to see how everything develops.
Thanks,

U-bolts were VERY loose. Like less then 40ft lbs. tightening those up made a big difference, but didn’t fix the whole thing - we’ll figure it out though

I think it was combo of front suspension hardware all being only finger tight, and no caster correction, and 10 year old tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom