fj60 shackle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure this question has been asked several times, but I am a new fj60 owner and a new member of this forum. I have been considering mounting some 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" shackles on my 60. My main purpose is to reduce the sag in the rear of the vehicle. I am putting new shocks on today and then will decide if I need the shackles also. Any advice or knowledge on this would be great. The pros and cons of this alteration? If I put 2" shackles on will I need to modify any linkage? Should I put a higher shackle in the back than the front? Any advice or experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Welcome to Mud. First off, your shocks won't affect the height the rig sits at. They may help it ride better depending on the condition of your springs, but won't fix your problem. If the rear is sagging, you have a couple of options. The shackles in the rear only won't affect the handling as much say as an extended shackle int he front, but will help raise the vehicle an inch or two depending on the overall increase in size of the shackle from stock. If you're looking at increasing the weight capacity, you may be better off with new stock or lift springs, or an add-a-leaf in the rear. The add-a-leaf will considerably stiffen the ride as well as help level it out, but may make the ride a little more bouncy or stiff. If purely for asthetics, the shackles may be the way to go. 2" shackles in the rear shouldn't require any other mods or extended shocks. Also try the search feature and you should get lots more info.

I have that setup...

FWIW - I have the +1.5" on the front and the +2.5" on the rear...no mods are "absolutely" needed. I will add, however, since I put on the 33's it wanders alot more and would recommend adding the correction shims.

You are correct, you need slightly longer ones in the rear. I put 4 identical shackles on my previous cruiser, and it amplified the rear sag...Stock rear shackles are about 3/4" or so longer than the fronts.

HTH

I just did add a leafs front and back and 2" extended shackles front and back. The rear ones are a little longer than the front, but I am not sure by how much. You will definately want to add the shims up front if you install the longer shackles. If you can afford it I would put new springs on it instead of add a leafs or shackles. I think you will be happier.

Thanks for the advice, this is my first cruiser and I need all of the help that I can get.

another line said:
I am sure this question has been asked several times, but I am a new fj60 owner and a new member of this forum. I have been considering mounting some 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" shackles on my 60. My main purpose is to reduce the sag in the rear of the vehicle. I am putting new shocks on today and then will decide if I need the shackles also. Any advice or knowledge on this would be great. The pros and cons of this alteration? If I put 2" shackles on will I need to modify any linkage? Should I put a higher shackle in the back than the front? Any advice or experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Add-a-leafs are a cheap and simple way to compensate for sagging in the rear. It's the springs that need help, not the shackles. Don't use short AAL's, the ride will be really harsh, the long AAL's are fine. Lots of guys use them. They are $50 a pair + you'll need to replace the u-bolts. U-bolts are maybe $30. If your shocks are shot, the stock shocks are a bargin - about $25 ea. $200 and your suspension will be hugely improved.

Something to think about - old bushings are likely shot. Bushings are cheap, but really a pain in the axx to replace. Replacing the old worn ones with new polyurethane ones is a cheap way to also improve your suspension.

lovetoski said:
Add-a-leafs are a cheap and simple way to compensate for sagging in the rear. It's the springs that need help, not the shackles. Don't use short AAL's, the ride will be really harsh, the long AAL's are fine. Lots of guys use them. They are $50 a pair + you'll need to replace the u-bolts. U-bolts are maybe $30. If your shocks are shot, the stock shocks are a bargin - about $25 ea. $200 and your suspension will be hugely improved.

Something to think about - old bushings are likely shot. Bushings are cheap, but really a pain in the axx to replace. Replacing the old worn ones with new polyurethane ones is a cheap way to also improve your suspension.

Doug, will the newer bushings change the ride at all, i.e. improve it ? I figure mine are worn just by the age of the vehicle, but haven't done much more than an add-a-leaf to the suspension at this point.

chitown40 said:
Doug, will the newer bushings change the ride at all, i.e. improve it ? I figure mine are worn just by the age of the vehicle, but haven't done much more than an add-a-leaf to the suspension at this point.

I don't know for sure. I replaced springs/shocks/shackles/bushings all at one time. However, it just stands to reason that replacing worn rubber bushings with PU bushings will improve the handling - ie less slop. Also, PU bushings are standard upgrads on automobile suspensions, to improve crispness/precision of the suspension. They have less compliance than OEM rubber.

Most of us have noticed that PU bushings + greasable pins makes for a smooth accurate suspension. PU bushings w/out greasable pins can squeak over time.

Of course, once you start, where do you stop?

Time + money + ambition + whats your goal - if you keep these in mind, it'll help to manage the tendancy that many of us have to drift towards cruiser madness...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom