FJ60 Seatbelt Planet- Rear retractable seat belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly wasn’t that bad. Full day for one side, 4 hours for the next. I had a threaded C-Pillar and count myself lucky for that.

I purchased 62 rear belts with stock trim, then sent them to seatbelt planet to get re-webbed this was definitely a costly way to go about it.

Not many are going to that effort for a stock looking truck. And honestly mine is anything but stock looking on the interior, so it comes up a bit of a waste in the long run. If you take a look at TLC’s rear seatbelt work they are also mounting the retractors externally.

View attachment 1866397 View attachment 1866398

If I were to do it again, I’d take a look at using 80 series rear retractors.

View attachment 1866399

Maybe figure out a way to place them under the quarter panel and incorporate a belt pass-thru like these.

View attachment 1866400

Hmmm, this is interesting that Seatbelt Planet can re-web OEM hardware. My ‘90 62 has all the hardware in place but the belt material, esp the driver side are rough, beginning to worry about how safe they are anymore. If this is a viable option, I would consider getting all five belts rewebbed.

Question is.....what about the front seatbelt floor attachment ‘stalks’? The plastic covers on mine have really started crumbling apart and look terrible. Any idea if SBP can re-web the stalks AND add new plastic covers on these?

Hmmm, this is interesting that Seatbelt Planet can re-web OEM hardware. My ‘90 62 has all the hardware in place but the belt material, esp the driver side are rough, beginning to worry about how safe they are anymore. If this is a viable option, I would consider getting all five belts rewebbed.

Question is.....what about the front seatbelt floor attachment ‘stalks’? The plastic covers on mine have really started crumbling apart and look terrible. Any idea if SBP can re-web the stalks AND add new plastic covers on these?

Call SBP and ask for Steve Purkel, he may have an option for you.

I did the Seatbelt Planet belts in my 60 a few years ago. The job was a little fiddly, but it worked out fine. Link: The Rushing Turdle

Edit: Oops! I see that I have already been mentioned on this thread a couple of times. My apologies!

Last edited:
I did the Seatbelt Planet belts in my 60 a few years ago. The job was a little fiddly, but it worked out fine. Link: The Rushing Turdle

Edit: Oops! I see that I have already been mentioned on this thread a couple of times. My apologies!
That’s fine... glad you could join the conversation.

Anyone finally come to a decision on the retractor. Better to get one from an 80 or go the SBP route and make a bracket? Thanks!

Does anyone know why they didnt design the retractable part to go where the OEM lap belt retractor goes? The seatbelt planet one I got needs to be mounted straight up and down, therefore it requires i do as others have and do some metal work. (the hole i have for my 82 isnt large enough for the retractor. And there are no tapped holes to mount to)

A second question. Has anyone tried a universal seatbelt like this one? If this doesnt need to be mounted straight up and down, then it seems like i could install this with out cutting metal.

For that link you provided the retractor should work the Same way. Meaning your going to have to mount them in a manner that allows the belt path to be pointed toward the top loop.

Your in for some work to install the retractors as others have done.

The top bolt hole you can feed a string down (someone used a shop vac sucking from the wheel well side to help) attach a nut /washer/plate set-up with your favorite adhesive on it. Pull it with the tape up to the hole.

Start your bolt to hold it tight against the hole on the inside and the adhesive will cure holding the plate/nut in place.

There was a thread that someone went into greater detail on how they did all that. If you use the search function you might get lucky (I often just google and come up with ih8mud threads)

Thanks NookShneer. I am actually lucky enough to have the top bolt already threaded. Its the mounting of the retractor that i am now brainstorming. I had been wondering why the retractor couldnt be mounted where the OEM retractor goes, which is under the seat. But that puts that at an angle, and the retractor doesnt work unless straight up and down. But i guess that is a bad option for other reasons, like the belt would probably rub against the back of the rear seat and wear down.
I found the link you were talking about. Thanks for that tip! The photos of threading the top hole are there, but his photos of how he mounted the retractor are broken. I've found other photos though from other people's installs...just looking for a few different ways to skin the cat and i'll pick an option that is on the easier side.

FEB21612-7BB9-406A-BBFF-C918FE0024D8.jpeg

@NookShneer

Can I get some specifics on how you mounted the retractors in the picture above?
Also, the dark grey piece is from a 62 I would guess, did you source the molding where the seatbelt comes out from behind? Or is that original and you just "spaced" it out.
(I did some searching but never found a thread/post that explains that part).
Thanks

@NookShneer

Can I get some specifics on how you mounted the retractors in the picture above?
Also, the dark grey piece is from a 62 I would guess, did you source the molding where the seatbelt comes out from behind? Or is that original and you just "spaced" it out.
Thanks

@NookShneer

Thanks

The grey pieces are stock OEM 62 belt covers. The creme or white piece above the grey are stock 62 window trim pieces.

best bet for sourcing these are from a person parting out a 89-90 FJ62. I did this and then sent the OEM retractors out to Seatbelt planet to have the webbing replaced.

I’ll try and snap some photos tonight of the mounting of the retractors as I can’t find any better photos on my phone.

with regards to the-trim pieces that the belt passes thru if you used a seat-belt planet style retractor (they have removable belts in the retractor vs. perm mounted retractors like The OEM style) you could add a pass tru of the stock trim piece.

Or, mount them externally on the trim panels. This has been done TLC/ICON on some of the builds they have.

Finally got around to getting this rear retractable seatbelts done. Opted for the external mounted retractors for ease of install.
61D1A17B-30D9-4C54-8D83-FA472998DCB8.jpeg

3053B622-8984-4EBD-B14B-FAD2C9793497.jpeg

A8B4940E-2474-490C-95F5-87ED0127EA5D.jpeg

Trickiest part was getting the nut on the bolt holding the retractor to the body. I had some good double sided sticky tape that helped me get the nut in place to tighten on the bolt.
A3D049A7-DB09-48C7-845D-8D4889F068EF.jpeg

71296153-1914-447F-ABC1-77A218FAF38E.jpeg

The rear panel needed a little trimming around the retractor which was easy to do with a fine tool.

Last edited:
1CB292EB-53F7-40A6-A926-828377C93590.jpeg

seatbelt planet got me a generic retractable belt with the end of belt hardware going the wrong direction. To push the hardware further away for clearance I threaded on a nylon lock nut.
A67136E3-E458-4522-BB7D-141580802B57.jpeg

This provided enough clearance for the belt and wheel well.
68424FE3-841B-4F62-A310-B873723B2E69.jpeg

Bolt holding fixed end of belt in the wheel well.
3824A4FF-9D89-46E0-8467-9E31092E9ADD.jpeg

Unfortunately the buckle was shorter and hardware was also the wrong direction, so ended up doing the same thing as I did on the fixed belt end.

991D32C2-858B-4522-8548-494522952660.jpeg

A272706A-52A4-48C2-8F01-9575418B77C0.jpeg

Mounted the buckle end and now had the drivers side to do.
A1D91BF2-A203-416B-A54B-93D2E8245D36.jpeg

Drivers rear was quicker. Took about an hour per side.
6CD47C2C-785C-4557-A449-63616A18B295.jpeg

All done and ready for the kids to roll in Snowball❄
Since the belts were on sale I decided to replace the front belts as well.
4FFE2FAA-B97D-4DC5-9A7F-C84A4C12FF74.jpeg

67B7AF5E-1DED-4D9B-A789-52D9800753C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hojack,
It looks like you have highlander floor mats in the front. How do you like the fit? What about the rear mat is it from highlander too? Do you more pics of the mats?
Thanks,

Hojack,
It looks like you have highlander floor mats in the front. How do you like the fit? What about the rear mat is it from highlander too? Do you more pics of the mats?
Thanks,
I took the rear floor mat from my wife’s old Subaru when we sold it. When we got the highlander they hooked us up with nice rubber floor mats so I took them.😆 They fit really well. I could try to take some. I’d post them on my build thread.
Dude what seats are those? They don’t look stock but I like them a lot!!!
Hey buddy
They came in the 60 when I bought it. I’ve got no idea who makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom