FJ60 Rocker Switches? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I realize this may be old news or known to some, but I'm asking because I've not seen an answer after looking around for some time.

I have a 1986 FJ60, USA model / Gas. There are two or three blanks around the steering column and I believe one or more over to the center of the dash. I'm away from the vehicle. When I was working on the truck recently one of the stock rocker switches came loose from teh dash mount (it might be the rear defog rocker) I don't recall at the time of this msg. Anyway I just barley put some minor leverage on the plastic mount that holds the rocker to the dash and that broke as its very brittle (only 30+ years old). Throwing out questions if anyone knows..

(1) are there replacement rocker switch retainers for the oem rockers that are installed in the area below the A/C control head?

(2) are there replacement rocker switches (OEM or aftermarket) & retainers that work in the blank slots in the dask (around the steering column etc.. ?

(3) are there replacement OEM style or aftermarket rockers switches that fit in the slots under the A/C control head ?

My truck is not stock and has various home-brewed solutions to things, so I'm not caught up on stock look, but I do want something functional and solid. From my observation it appears the current standard rocker switches are not the same size as the toyota OEM stuff.

For example I removed the stock choke cable assembly and I'm using that as a mount for a toggle, and I removed the throttle control cable and I plan to adapt that hole for a toggle switch mount. I obvisouly want to avoid drilling holes, since I have a number of blanks where I could use a rocker.

I'll take some pics and point out what I'm talking about specifically but I would appreciate any feedback on what others have done. Looking for ideas on rocker and toggle style mounts / use of the OEM dash "holes" for mount points. I don't expect to run any major amps through these switches / toggles. I'm controlling or plan to control (aux electric radiator cooling fan, additional interior lights, on board Air Compressor, front and rear ARB locker, maybe exterior fog/driving lights, maybe rear flood light).

I understand that there are other options on external controls like spods, external panels , or external control boxes. Right now I want to see what I can do with the spaces in the dash I have now, and potentially repair the one OEM rocker switch mount I mentioned above that is loose. Given the age of the truck, I expect some of the other OEM rockers might come loose too, given the brittle nature of 30+ year old plastic.

Here are a few from wits end:

I’ve used & filled all the blank holes with oem fj60 switches which I’ve purchased from MUD members or at LC swap meets. Several 60 switches that say Rear Off, and one that was for the Rear Defroster (Mainly used because of the light bar that tells me it’s ‘on’).

Mainly I use these for low amp stuff, but I still also use some switches for hi amp stuff using a relay.

Best solution seems to be to repurpose old OEM switches. 60 switches are sized differently than anything else out there.

Mud 288.jpg

Mud 285.jpg

appreciate the feedback...I'm added a few pics to show my delima

20191029_201759_resized.jpg

The hole next to the dimmer is the same as the others in the dash.

A 4WD button from a 62 will fit the large square opening to the right of the steering wheel.

Instead of losing your choke cable (assuming you still have carburetion), use the switch opening to the right of the ashtray or left of the cig lighter.

so far I have toggle on the left with a relay that I use to trigger an electric fan, and I have another toggle I just setup temporary that also triggers another toggle to control some power feeds (both are lighted when on so I have a visual reminder).

what has anyone done with that double blank "hole" to the right of the steering column?

The hole next to the dimmer is the same as the others in the dash.

A 4WD button from a 62 will fit the large square opening to the right of the steering wheel.

thanks...I think i asked about that right after you posted...good idea

I’ve used & filled all the blank holes with oem fj60 switches which I’ve purchased from MUD members or at LC swap meets. Several 60 switches that say Rear Off, and one that was for the Rear Defroster (Mainly used because of the light bar that tells me it’s ‘on’).

Mainly I use these for low amp stuff, but I still also use some switches for hi amp stuff using a relay.

yea I may need to start surfing around on the used parts stuff. If nothing else and I come up with other solutions it may be just to fill the empty slots. Those retainers for the rocker on my truck are very brittle...I'm thinking they may break too, I might have to get creative with some hot glue or super glue if I dont' see something else working.

The rocker switch that has the three red waves lines on it is the rear heater switch (for reference) and the switch that has the yellow bar on the top is the rear defrost (for reference).

A 2nd rear heater switch fits perfectly in the last unused switch receptacle on the right of the dash and a rear defrost switch fits perfectly in your empty spot on the left of the steering wheel. I put one there.
That big gaping square hole just to the right of the steering wheel had a plastic snap in panel that was nothing, but a FJ62 (or mini truck) power antenna switch snapped right in there. That's what I had.
My suggestion would be to find some old rear defrost switches first. They're not that hard to find - then look for the others of you want them tool

The rocker switch that has the three red waves lines on it is the rear heater switch (for reference) and the switch that has the yellow bar on the top is the rear defrost (for reference).

A 2nd rear heater switch fits perfectly in the last unused switch receptacle on the right of the dash and a rear defrost switch fits perfectly in your empty spot on the left of the steering wheel. I put one there.
That big gaping square hole just to the right of the steering wheel had a plastic snap in panel that was nothing, but a FJ62 (or mini truck) power antenna switch snapped right in there. That's what I had.
My suggestion would be to find some old rear defrost switches first. They're not that hard to find - then look for the others of you want them tool

thanks for the feedback

Elbert,
I probably have a spare 4WD switch with the larger panel for the right side and I have a few spare Cressida switches that will fit on the left. pm me and I'll take a look.

you may be able to get by with wrapping what is left of the legs on the switch bezel with electrical tape just to get it to hold until you find a more permanent fix. This basically makes for a tighter fit even though one or more of the legs is cracked or broke. just go all the way around the switch with the tape on the part that fits in the dash hole.

People usually jb weld the broken bits on as best they can and hold onto them.

Details on your ashtray delete?

Start at post #76.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom