FJ60 reseal and while I'm in there questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I work slow but I am finally making some time to get the project 60 on the road. Now that I have finished the suspension and front end now it is time to address the engine. I'll check the compression numbers but I think it drives as it should (my first 2F) but it is leaking everywhere. So I plan on replacing all the gaskets but with just over 200k on the motor is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Other than simple things like belts/ valve adjustment, is there anything else I should address? Timing chain since I'm pulling the front cover?

I would do a coolant flush before I changed the gasket just to keep the bad crud from mixing with the clean crud. Not really necessary though.

If you dont have one I would get an engine repair manual and check the specs for everything as you go

I agree with @ChaserFJ60. Flush the coolant system really well and plan on replacing all the rubber coolant hoses. You might consider resealing the oil cooler too while you’re at it. Check the back side of the harmonic balancer for cracks in the rubber. They wear out and begin to wobble and once that happens it’ll open a can of worms with broken crank shaft keys, rattling bearings in the crank case, excessive vibrations and all sorts of other nightmares. They ain’t cheap but you can find new ones for around $500 or have your old one rebuilt. You should be able to look at it while the engine is running to see if it turns smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom