FJ60 Rebuild T-case and 4 Speed H41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my clutch, pilot and throwout bearings last December. At the time, I thought I should rebuild the transfer case with 160,000 miles, but I decided not to. I was having some driveline vibration before the clutch replacement when I was starting out in gear, plus the typical throwout bearing whine.

The new clutch and parts seemed to help that for a while, but gradually I am having a harder time shifting between gears and into gear from neutral. Sometomes the gears grind if I don't wait long enough.

The driveline vibration is also coming back- mostly when going from 0-5 mph in 1st or second gear.

I did have some minor play in the rear pinion, so I tightened it up temporarily with no change in vibration.

I have purchased a used T-case and 4 speed tranny. I am planning on rebuilding both of them, but wanted to see what input everyone here had.

I am not ready to spend an additional $2K on a 5 speed right now. I mostly drive in town, so the 4 speed works for me and my wallet.

The good thing about this project is with the replacement tranny and t-case, I can take my time on the rebuild and take it to Butch or someone else if I get in over my head.

Questions:
1. Is there a way to tell if my replacement tranny needs to be rebuilt with it off the truck?

2. If the synchros are worn, can replacements be purchased?

3. How do I know if I need needle bearings for the T-case? Marlin Crawler has them but Kurt at cruiseroutfitters doesn't show them on his web site.

4. I plan to have the driveshafts balanced. Is there a way to tell if the u-joints are bad or not? At 160,000 miles, should I just replace them anyways?

5. Everyone says buy OEM Toyota U-joints. Do the ones that Marlin or Kurt have compare, or do they need to come from Toyota?

6. Any other words of advice?

For the t'case rebuild, everything you need will come in the kit - including the roller bearings for the idler gears. The needle bearings you're talking about are for the FJ62 t'case w/auto tranny.

If you're having some trouble shifting, have you checked the clutch operation? Make sure the release is working as it should, including fluid levels, etc..

If you're gonna have the DS balanced (I did), ask the pro to check your U joints. I replaced mine with Toyota. FWIW, I took mine to the guys who do the DS work for TLC Van Nuys and he said OEM only. Spicer were not as strong.

And more FWIW - on my current FJ60 resto, I have an H55f in the garage, but decided to stick with the 4spd as I have an H55 in my other truck and around town, it just becomes and expensive 3 speed. Marv Specter said he goes from 1st to 3rd to keep up with traffic, in his.

Rebuilding a H41 is supposed to be a bear, even with the right tools. I've never done it, but I heard Mark Algazy talk about it and it even gave him fits. Far as I know, parts for the 4spd are available, but they're pretty stout, chances are at 160K your old one is fine, if you haven't run it dry or something...

For the t'case rebuild, everything you need will come in the kit - including the roller bearings for the idler gears. The needle bearings you're talking about are for the FJ62 t'case w/auto tranny.

That's good to know- thanks! The Marlin web site doesn't make that distinction.

If you're having some trouble shifting, have you checked the clutch operation? Make sure the release is working as it should, including fluid levels, etc..

I had installed a new OEM clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and soft lines before the clutch install. I have flushed and bled the system. I think it's OK, but am not 100%. My original tranny statically shifted good when I had it out of the truck for the clutch replacement- so does the new one.

If you're gonna have the DS balanced (I did), ask the pro to check your U joints. I replaced mine with Toyota. FWIW, I took mine to the guys who do the DS work for TLC Van Nuys and he said OEM only. Spicer were not as strong.

That is what I figured. Will do.

And more FWIW - on my current FJ60 resto, I have an H55f in the garage, but decided to stick with the 4spd as I have an H55 in my other truck and around town, it just becomes and expensive 3 speed. Marv Specter said he goes from 1st to 3rd to keep up with traffic, in his.

I have read that same information on Mark's Web Site FAQ. I think for now I'll take his advice and slow down to enjoy the ride. Besides, my next $2K on this truck is going towards a suspension.

Rebuilding a H41 is supposed to be a bear, even with the right tools. I've never done it, but I heard Mark Algazy talk about it and it even gave him fits. Far as I know, parts for the 4spd are available, but they're pretty stout, chances are at 160K your old one is fine, if you haven't run it dry or something...

I'm stubborn, so I might just try it. No doubt it won't be easy, but the reason I drive this old thing is so I can challenge my mechanical abilities. I watched a Terrain Tamer video on rebuilding one, so I should be good to go, right? :confused:

Thanks for the input and your contribution to the board. NOw it's off to clean up that tranny and t-case at the power washers. :cheers:

I'm stubborn, so I might just try it. No doubt it won't be easy, but the reason I drive this old thing is so I can challenge my mechanical abilities. I watched a Terrain Tamer video on rebuilding one, so I should be good to go, right? :confused:

Thanks for the input and your contribution to the board. NOw it's off to clean up that tranny and t-case at the power washers. :cheers:

You're gonna need some special pullers to get the input shaft bearings off ... Be prepared to beg borrow or buy 'em 'cuz that's what hangs everyone up.

Frankly, you'd be better off buying a good used 4sd for under $200 and using that. They're all over Craig'sL , etc...

I bought my FJ60 for the same reason as you: learn to do everything on the truck... But I've also learned there's an easier way around some problems than having to know it all. But if you've got access to pullers, have at it :D

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom