FJ60 Rear driveshaft balance!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mountainfish

NOTW
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone had their rear driveshaft balanced? I had a vibration, so I changed out my u-joints and took the driveshaft to be balanced. Shop said it was bent and would take a lot of weight to balance. I figured that I have dinged it on a few rocks and it must be bent. I got another used one from the boneyard and that one was out of balance also.:bang: At this point, I just told them to balance it and I don't care if it takes a lot of weight. Has this ever happened to any one else? Are 60 driveshafts subject to bending easily? I will re-install and post my results after the weekend.

I just put oem u joints and had my driveshaft dynamically balanced.

I didn't have a balance issue before, just a failing u joint. But for $75 in balancing and I joint install, I don't even think twice about skimping.

why didn't you have them just re-tube it?
probably could have also gone with heavier wall material as well.
i have had several drive shafts modified lately, lengthened or shortened as needed...balancing goes hand in hand with that.

Unfortunately, where I live, there is only one shop that can do the work. They wanted $300 just to re-tube. Ridiculous I know, but that is the problem with living in a rural area.
why didn't you have them just re-tube it?
probably could have also gone with heavier wall material as well.
i have had several drive shafts modified lately, lengthened or shortened as needed...balancing goes hand in hand with that.

Shop said it was bent and would take a lot of weight to balance.

It's absurd that a shop would suggest this. Find a new shop, no matter how far you have to drive.

After balance truck goes down the road smoother, but the noise I was hoping to eliminate is still there. At this point I am just going to turn the stereo up.;) It might be a tire or even the exhaust note. It's just a deep hum that comes in around 67 mph. I can live with it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom