FJ60 PS conversion where to put shock mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you think that it’s ok to weld cast iron in that way? I have understood you’ll get fractures/hairline cracks. Just wondering, I’m not sure, just heard.

I doubt these pieces are cast iron. Cast steel can be welded.

Just throwing out a pic of my project. Shortened the f250 towers by two inches. Also moved the radiator to the passenger side by about 1 inch to clear the steering box. Sleeved the frame and added a 1/4 inch plate on the engine side. Seems to fit pretty good.
image.jpg

I run Scout p/s which is a similar set up. On my 1st 40 , I used the ford shock tower, spaced out the box from the frame and cut the inner fender to accommodate the box. it works great, with no problems. On my 2nd 40, I decided to try it using the stk shock tower. The PO moved the rad support towards the pass side to center the fan shroud with the SBC's fan. This allowed me to mount the box directly to the frame , no spacer. I removed the shk tower and moved it towards the fire wall. The frt tower hole uses the back tower hole on the frame. I welded nuts to thin scab plates and fished them inside the frame so I could bolt the shock tower on the frame. I then reversed the upper shk pin. I still had to grind on the tower, but not as much . I then altered my new oem fenders similar to dynosoar.
20200708_173234.jpg

Seeing is believing!

These are actually the best pics of the shock tower clearance I’ve seen Peter. Very helpful visual.

How far forward is the upper relay rod end from the main steering rod with that steering box position?

The drag link is forward of the tie rod by aprox. six inches when the wheels are pointed straight ahead. There are no clearance issues at all.
lc401.jpg
lc402.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom