FJ60 powersteering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Question.

How many people are actually happy with their FJ60 PS?

I am going to run 35's and do some moderate rock trails with this rig.

Basically I do not have a PS box on my 60 right now and am considering running a different PS box to get more assist.

Ford PS boxes are nice and small and super easy to make work..

Oh yeah, which direction does a stock 60 PS box pittman arm run?? Forward? like a scout box? or rearward like a Toyota IFS box?

I'm underimpressed with the boost in the stock 60 setup. I'm on 33x10.5 tires. I finally sprung for a brand new OE pump. It helped a bit but the boost at idle is minimal. Maybe its my steering box? It doesn't leak externally. I was a bit spoiled by the assist on my wifes Acura. It had too much boost at idle - one finger parallel parking.

The pitman arm on the 60 points forward in front of the box.

NO PROBLEM HERE :D
SOA,35's,all pro high steer set up,stock power steering,res leaks a bit, i have nothing to complain about...

let see some more pics of that 60 you just bought jason! :cool:

Jason, if you do stick with the OEM steering, modiffy the pump (drill the orfice) and add a much larger remote resevoir... this seems to improve the steering and life of the setup. That being said, hyrdo-assist is getting cheaper all the time, add it to the 60 stuff and you will be set. :D

I'm not happy with the stock PS pump .. to 31" ( it was the stock tires ) maybe was fine .. but Now I run 37" and definitly are not enought .. I do a rebouilt to my PS pump .. and add a radiator and put in the front of my grill to try getdown the temp on the PS system .. not really much better.

Now I'm think in a Ram Hy Cilinder .. but I thought that the problem still in the pump.

when i was going through my PS debacle, i talked to a guy if FLA that does PS for boats and such. check my old posts. he was very helpfull, and had sugestions about drilling out the oriface, for more boost.
hammer

I am thinking that the ford box/Sag pump will be the way to go.

now to get the pittman to match up with the stock bar (spring under stock config)

Jason, if you do stick with the OEM steering, modiffy the pump (drill the orfice) and add a much larger remote resevoir... this seems to improve the steering and life of the setup. That being said, hyrdo-assist is getting cheaper all the time, add it to the 60 stuff and you will be set. :D

Has anyone done this?

I ended up going with the stock box and a canned ham sag pump.. Course, it don't work yet ;)

I run my 60 box with a saginaw (canned ham) pump and it feels slightly overboosted. But is is a matter of taste.

Dynosoar

It was pointed out to me that the pump used on the 62s is internally different than the one used on the 60s and should provide more power. Has anyone installed a 62 pump in the stock location on a 60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom