FJ60 Portal Axle Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

consider $: gears front+back, arb lockers front and back,longfields, install kit and bearings, compressor, Upgrade front brakes, upgrade rear brakes, big ass lift springs or SOA.
Compare to the price of volvo axels, where you gain 5ish" clearance at diffs and probally dont need taller springs. Add up the $ to upgrade your stock axels and then consider pros and cons of going portals from the start.
Tires and rims are going to be $$, but if your planning on lifting and running larger rubber anyways...

Also with a 40" tire your gonna want to either go high enough to clear em with more lift, or chop a bit of sheet metal.

Excellent advice :cool:

You might look at the portal axles on a pinzgauer also. Two to ones at each wheel.

The Pinzgauers have independent suspension and won't work for an axle swap :rolleyes:

i believe the diff is on the proper side on the volvo axels to match stock drivetrain, whereas the mog axles are centered, so would better match a chev powertrain.

The volvo's have cable lockers, if you compare selectable locker that comes with the volvo to getting a set on a cruiser (im guessing just under $1500) then what youre paying for volvo axels seems a little less.

The Volvo don't have cables, they are vaccum operated and Mogs aren't centered.

The Volvos would be the easiest and most simple way to go. That said, good luck finding any. Especially with the 5 series gears. Mogs are all over the place, but they are WIDE and big and heavy. The pinion yokes stick out a MILE and might be difficult to fab up. It would be easier to fab on a set of the outer portal boxes to your existing axles I think. There are plenty of places that could do it. Then youd have to search for the "heighest" ring and pinions to compensate for the 2.1 portal gearing.

Good luck.

PS, forget about bummer portals. They are a weak design compared to the others.

I thought ( as same as you read here ) you have other " cheapest " options prior to go with portals ..

If you want cheap .. SO gearing ( 4.88 ) and 37" tires ..

Not to bring a thread back from the dead, but.....

What would be involved in putting portal boxes on a 40/60 series axle. Would the reduction boxes get sourced from some old beat up mog axles and grafted onto the LC. Anyone have an idea of the cost to have work like this done? Anyone have a link to someone thats done it??

The Volvos would be the easiest and most simple way to go. That said, good luck finding any. Especially with the 5 series gears. Mogs are all over the place, but they are WIDE and big and heavy. The pinion yokes stick out a MILE and might be difficult to fab up. It would be easier to fab on a set of the outer portal boxes to your existing axles I think. There are plenty of places that could do it. Then youd have to search for the "heighest" ring and pinions to compensate for the 2.1 portal gearing.

Good luck.

PS, forget about bummer portals. They are a weak design compared to the others.

Same as grogan did for Kate (his old 40 has a 9" rear with mog portals)

Problem is that with the multiple planetary system is is hard to make a nice, compact box that does not spin backwards..

So, basically, if you wanted to graft them on, you would have to make your pumpkin a high pinion (LOTS of issues there...)

i sure hope someone does the swap on a 60, thats my dream after seeing tirediron's rig, a bobbed 60 with portals on 40's would be killer

check out some military web sites you can probably buy a volvo or mog for under 10 grand and just drive that .the marines have 210 unimogs with loaders on them you could also use 1 for your landscape business they are basicly a street legal tractor good luck

Dtrain -
I'll get pix if you first translate the binary in your sig line. Is it EBCDC or BCDC (SP?)? [It's been too long.]

I had dreams in octal assembler language in college (now you know how old I am).

Picked up this tranlator up on a thread... I used to be a computer geek by trade so I thought the translator was really cool :)

Translated (on a different computer then my normal one... buts basically the same):

Put'm in a body bag Johnny! - Karate Kid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom