FJ60 parts in a FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new to the FJ40 club. I own an 87 FJ60 thats frame is rusting out from under it. I just replaced the rear crossmember on it, but the frame cant be saved. So, I went out and purchased a new frame in the form of a 71 FJ40. It currently doesnt run and has a small block chevy (p.o. didnt know what size s.b.c., and I cant find the block casting numbers). Best I can tell it still has the original 3 speed trans. I was curious about the possibilities of taking the 2f, 4 speed trans, and transfer case from the 60 and putting it in the 40. Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:
Hi All:

Welcome aboard the Land Cruiser addiction train! :D

Yes, your FJ60 has many good parts to swap onto that '71 FJ40.

Besides the drive train, the front disc brakes can be swapped on, and the power steering parts can be used to convert the FJ40 from "Armstrong" steering.

Good luck with the project!

Alan

Also the rear axle is a good swap to widen the track, and the 60 series springs will increase the wheelbase and improve articulation, although that requires some driveshaft modification as well...

Good Question: "Of what FJ60 parts can be (and, should be) swapped onto an FJ40."
*specifically, in my case a 1981 40series.
(Unmolested - I'd like to maintain the orginality, though improve/ modify where it seems logical)

Being a later model, of course their are some advancements, though feeling Power Steering would be a worthy asset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom