Cruiser Head (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my mockup for the ash tray switch blank, this current design is a secure slide fit that requires no hardware. I have not fully tested it yet but so far it fits in the slot snug.

ashtray.png

Last edited:
On-to the blank panel for the radio slot. Printing out a solid sheet of ASA/ABS to be cut out isn't very practical as it takes a lot of time and material, and the sheet could delaminate or flake when cut. I feel like it makes more sense to sell the bracket arms by themselves with hardware. I will include an optional face for rocker switches if anyone would like those. I will also include a template of what size plate to cut for those of you who would make their own face plate.

blank bracket.png
slots.png
brackets.png

Last edited:
the switch blank size spec should be for OEM toyota common type like in a FJ62 for example 88-90

maybe make a varaiant later for the unique short and stubby stand alone FJ60 land cruiser design 81-87

the FJ62 blanks size spec allows the Harvest of ALL toyota vehical switches from as early as 78-79 celica supra , to as late as 1st Generation TUNDA and Sequioa Pre-2002

Pre-2002 4runner too

any other size spec on this initial run then this , would be a serious mis-calculation and limit who may seek this killer kool idea out

here is a example of some of the various options i refer to :

these switches OD is : 25mm x 41mm

DSCN5682.JPG
DSCN5683.JPG
DSCN5686.JPG

Last edited:
the switch blank size spec should be for OEM toyota common type like in a FJ62 for example 88-90

maybe make a varaiant later for the unique short and stubby stand alone FJ60 land cruiser design 81-87

the FJ62 blanks size spec allows the Harvest of ALL toyota vehical switches from as early as 78-79 celica supra , to as late as 1st Generation TUNDA and Sequioa Pre-2002

Pre-2002 4runner too

any other size spec on this initial run then this , would be a serious mis-calculation and limit who may seek this killer kool idea out

here is a example of some of the various options i refer to :

these switches OD is : 25mm x 41mm
Thankyou for that!

So the current blank size is for a 21mm x 37mm which can take most off the shelf rocker switches like the ones that come with ARB compressors. I'm defiantly going to add a variant that can accept the old Toyota 25mm x 41mm.

@SgtChase
On the ashtray cover I’m considering a number of different things: I’d likely install 2-3 USB ports, a household plug receptacle, an 1/8” audio port, and maybe another 12V cigarette lighter receptacle. You mentioned that trying to cut the material is not ideal, correct? I’m just wondering how feasible my dream is.

@ToyotaMatt
Is that your stash of old switches? Because you’re giving me ideas. Sounds like they are mostly all the same size from ~78-06, EXCEPT the switches in the 60s? I’m trying to plan some things out and this info is very helpful.

@SgtChase
On the ashtray cover I’m considering a number of different things: I’d likely install 2-3 USB ports, a household plug receptacle, an 1/8” audio port, and maybe another 12V cigarette lighter receptacle. You mentioned that trying to cut the material is not ideal, correct? I’m just wondering how feasible my dream is.

@ToyotaMatt
Is that your stash of old switches? Because you’re giving me ideas. Sounds like they are mostly all the same size from ~78-06, EXCEPT the switches in the 60s? I’m trying to plan some things out and this info is very helpful.

i have been dabbling in toyota rockers since high skool in the 1990's , in my first non land cruiser 1994 pickup 4wd i bought new

i studied the various vehicles Microfiche's slides at night shift at the dealer , ........

1 thing i forgot to mention ....

ALARM Status monsters , factory toyota VIP and RS300, 3200 are same common size spec i refer to and strongly suggest makes the debut here ......

this panel is a great idea ........

do it 100% right

89346717-15C7-40B2-B9BA-A475900C0731.jpeg

This is my mockup for the ash tray switch blank, this current design is a secure slide fit that requires no hardware. I have not fully tested it yet but so far it fits in the slot snug.

View attachment 2555504

So @SgtChase, what would the possibility of being able to print the actual entire switch bezel with your ashtray switch blank integrated in:

1610927124905.png

I have asked about 3D printing these bezels before in other threads but they never really went anywhere. Mine is cracked like most of them and would be nice to have a factory looking replacement. I know other vendors on mud have aftermarket replacements available but something more stock for me would be nice. You could make them with your switch bracket integrated in. Knowing nothing about the 3D printing process, is this something that could be printed? Too large, incorrect materials?

So, what would the possibility of being able to print the actual entire switch bezel with your ashtray switch blank integrated in:

View attachment 2556445

I have asked about 3D printing these bezels before in other threads but they never really went anywhere. Mine is cracked like most of them and would be nice to have a factory looking replacement. I know other vendors on mud have aftermarket replacements available but something more stock for me would be nice. You could make them with your switch bracket integrated in. Knowing nothing about the 3D printing process, is this something that could be printed? Too large, incorrect materials?
I'm limited by my technology, my printer is 8x8in. It would probably be best scanned than re-designing.
But yeah if I had a file I could try and integrate the panel in the bezel. Something like that is defiantly 3D printable. Its really a matter of usable print surface.

@ToyotaMatt
i have been dabbling in toyota rockers since high skool in the 1990's , in my first non land cruiser 1994 pickup 4wd i bought new

i studied the various vehicles Microfiche's slides at night shift at the dealer , ........

1 thing i forgot to mention ....

ALARM Status monsters , factory toyota VIP and RS300, 3200 are same common size spec i refer to and strongly suggest makes the debut here ......

this panel is a great idea ........

do it 100% right

I can defiantly modify the face plate to accept many types of inputs. First I want to get a basic layout available and catchup on my current orders.
Ill come up with a few variations before its posted for sale, and I can always add/change layouts.

Last edited:
I’m looking towards the day that aftermarket gauge manufacturers like Speedhut, Autometer, etc. start selling digital gauges compatible with their existing senders. Volt meters & USB chargers already exist that fit in a Carling blank.

Alright alright alright. Its all coming together now.
The ash tray replacement rocker switch panel is a snap in solution! no drilling, sanding, cutting, crying is needed for installation (unless you do your own wiring.) Simply remove the ash tray assembly and snap the switch blank in and WHAMO! Your FJ60 just became that much more versatile.

Switch plates for the 21 x 37.5 mm switches will be available soon on my Etsy page. Before 01/31/2021

Again these are 3D printed out of the UV resistant, tough ASA plastic.

These are sandable and paintable if one so desires.
20210118_225700.jpg
20210118_233708.jpg
20210118_233817.jpg

Last edited:
The ash tray replacement rocker switch panel is a snap in solution! no drilling, sanding, cutting, crying is needed for installation (unless you do your own wiring.) Simply remove the ash tray assembly and snap the switch blank in and WHAMO! Your FJ60 just became that much more versatile.

Switch plates for the 21 x 37.5 mm switches will be available soon on my Etsy page. Before 01/31/2021

View attachment 2557992View attachment 2557993View attachment 2557995

What is lead time for ash tray one that uses the OEM FJ62 size soec OEM rockers ?

I am pre- ordering qty x 5 kits right now and will
Pre-pay for them now too once a basic time line to them
can be established

like to know you know

Switch spacing is what we discussed earlier , more is better 5 verse 4 is my desire and request if it does not jeopardize structural integrity of the physical make up Of your work in general ?

more is better is my thought

Thanks

Last edited:

Soooo many switches

This is a great idea @SgtChase. Thanks for this. Really good work here.

Can you send me a picture of the parts?
I was looking through some of my old parts the other day and found a pair of the FJ60 rear air vents, they're missing the flaps. PM me your address and I'll send them to you. The flaps were stapled to the plastic housings at the top, you can easily see the staple holes for reference.

Another part asked about from time to time are the front door plastic speaker grilles, in both dark grey and brown. The design changed in April '86, one type is more square than the other. The grilles had four posts on the back, those usually break off. I'll send one from a June '86 FJ60 that still has one of the posts.

Here's a diagram of the rear vent duct:

FJ60 Rear Duct.png

BTW, Trail Tailor already makes a great reproduction rear vent louver.

Initially the regular 21x37.5 are the only switches that will be available. i need to
I was looking through some of my old parts the other day and found a pair of the FJ60 rear air vents, they're missing the flaps. PM me your address and I'll send them to you. The flaps were stapled to the plastic housings at the top, you can easily see the staple holes for reference.

Another part asked about from time to time are the front door plastic speaker grilles, in both dark grey and brown. The design changed in April '86, one type is more square than the other. The grilles had four posts on the back, those usually break off. I'll send one from a June '86 FJ60 that still has one of the posts.

Here's a diagram of the rear vent duct:

BTW, Trail Tailor already makes a great reproduction rear vent louver.
I have some I can use here, once I get caught up on orders will I start new projects which should be soon!

First orders for radio brackets shipped out today, I look forward to you guy's feedback!

Waiting on shipping supplies and one more quality control test before the Ash tray replacement switches goes live for the regular 21mm x 37.5mm switch cutouts. The 25mm x 41mm switch panels wont be sold until I verify that the switches fit sung and secure. @ToyotaMatt

I revisited the blank panel that will go in place of the radio. I'm considering laser cut panels and 3D printed bracket arms, or I might just laser cut the flat blank sheet and 3D print the cutout panels, or just not make the blank panel and have an option to just buy the bracket arms. This is untested as of now.
First panel is for x2 2in gauge cutouts, 2nd panel is for switches, 3rd panel obviously blank.

hmmm.png

First orders for radio brackets shipped out today, I look forward to you guy's feedback!

Waiting on shipping supplies and one more quality control test before the Ash tray replacement switches goes live for the regular 21mm x 37.5mm switch cutouts. The 25mm x 41mm switch panels wont be sold until I verify that the switches fit sung and secure. @ToyotaMatt

I revisited the blank panel that will go in place of the radio. I'm considering laser cut panels and 3D printed bracket arms, or I might just laser cut the flat blank sheet and 3D print the cutout panels, or just not make the blank panel and have an option to just buy the bracket arms. This is untested as of now.
First panel is for x2 2in gauge cutouts, 2nd panel is for switches, 3rd panel obviously blank.

View attachment 2559126

do u have a test fit OEM toyota size spec switch on hand ?

if not i CAN simply mail you one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom