FJ60 Owner Seeking Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 85 FJ60 located in VT that is in need of a little (or a lot) TLC. The Land Cruiser has spent the it’s life in New England / Vermont which means it has a little rust underneath. The frame needs to be swapped and after getting under the LC a little more, it needs what I think are new rocker panels and underside panels (along with rear fender well repair). Pictures below.

The good is that the interior is pretty mint for its age and the majority of the body minus those rust spots seems solid too.

I’m wondering if those rocker panels are replaceable and what the extent of repair is to that. My father and I (along with Grandfather who has restored many cars and motorcycles) will be doing the majority of the work. The frame swap doesn’t worry me as much as the rust but I could just be naive.

I’m fairly new to the LC community so any insight and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Frame swap first, then body work? Where do I start? I also don’t know how much it would be to replace everything (DIY vs Body Shop). Really hoping I didn’t buy a dud but looking for honest feedback.

Happy to answer any questions and share more insight.
F1EE7E76-75AC-48DF-9A19-97C5A3071AE0.jpeg
502A9875-2B7A-4D14-A45E-9D62E5AEC533.jpeg
055BF308-FFDA-40EB-A04C-443CE1D1F86D.jpeg
52BDB460-F3FB-4AB6-8E10-C46775F12E4C.jpeg
1598F6AD-59BA-44C5-B405-523F549C7027.jpeg

Needs new rockers, and frame certainly looks to be toast. Can’t tell much beyond that given the photos.
Some people prefer to cut out that sheet metal and replace with solid rectangular steel tube.

Needs new rockers, and frame certainly looks to be toast. Can’t tell much beyond that given the photos.
Some people prefer to cut out that sheet metal and replace with solid rectangular steel tube.
So you don’t necessarily need a donor car or exact rockers? You can cut it to size and then weld on?

So you don’t necessarily need a donor car or exact rockers? You can cut it to size and then weld on?
I think a lot depends on your budget. Did you just recently purchase this? If you do repair it either way, highly recommend you get it oil undercoated to prevent this from happening in the future. There is a place in Sullivan, NH that has all the parts you would need to do this yourself if you have the tools and the time. Google Cruiser Creations. I worked with a guy named Jay there last week on a new complete set of seats.

Where in Vermont are you?

That frame looks roast. The body is likely hiding quite a bit of rust. Things like this quickly get out of hand for time or money if trying to fix. It might be a better parts and driveline donor and look out for a cleaner truck tonwork with.

However if you are married to this truck and you are going to swap the frame…then pull the body, strip it down, and put it on a rotisserie. Take your time and address the rust and paint all at once.

I think a lot depends on your budget. Did you just recently purchase this? If you do repair it either way, highly recommend you get it oil undercoated to prevent this from happening in the future. There is a place in Sullivan, NH that has all the parts you would need to do this yourself if you have the tools and the time. Google Cruiser Creations. I worked with a guy named Jay there last week on a new complete set of seats.
I purchased this last summer off from a friend and while it's been started a few times, it has not been driven on the road (for obvious reasons). I will certainly have the frame and underside protected from salt and rust once the job gets finished.
Thanks for the insight on Cruiser Creations, that's fairly close to me so I will certainly check them out!

Where in Vermont are you?

That frame looks roast. The body is likely hiding quite a bit of rust. Things like this quickly get out of hand for time or money if trying to fix. It might be a better parts and driveline donor and look out for a cleaner truck tonwork with.

However if you are married to this truck and you are going to swap the frame…then pull the body, strip it down, and put it on a rotisserie. Take your time and address the rust and paint all at once.
Located near Middlebury, Vermont. How about you?

The frame is indeed toasted. I possibly paid a more than the condition is worth but when I purchased it last summer and really don't want to make a parts car out of it. But I completely know what you're saying about cost and time quickly adding up.

Located near Middlebury, Vermont. How about you?

The frame is indeed toasted. I possibly paid a more than the condition is worth but when I purchased it last summer and really don't want to make a parts car out of it. But I completely know what you're saying about cost and time quickly adding up.
I am in Bridgewater. About ~1-1.5 hours away.

Post some photos of the rest of the truck.

Awesome! What do you drive? Would love to link up when the time comes that I get it out on the road!
I drive a Volkswagen Tiguan :). I have an 84 FJ60 though....its currently hiding out of the sun and rain waiting for me to drop the oil pan to have a look at the rod bearings and further assess an engine knock

THe top of the truck looks good....though it looks suspiciously like a paint respray and might be covering suspect body repairs....as you are now seeing come through. If thats the dash and not a dash cap its worth a pretty penny to be crack free....also be sure to hold onto that radio as they are quite popular.

THe top of the truck looks good....though it looks suspiciously like a paint respray and might be covering suspect body repairs....as you are now seeing come through. If thats the dash and not a dash cap its worth a pretty penny to be crack free....also be sure to hold onto that radio as they are quite popular.
It was indeed repainted, which after buying realized it could be covering up a bit more than I thought. And yes, that is a crack-free dash with an OEM radio!
I think the plan is to get a new frame, repair the rocker panels and rear fender wells and go from there. It's going to be a long-term project/investment vehicle for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom