FJ60 Original Spare Tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
So I recently got some new tires for my FJ60. I replaced the tired spare as well. The tire that came off of the spare wheel looks as though its never been on the ground. The tire shop seems to think this tire is actually an original factory spare. Does anyone have any idea what tires came stock in '84 on an FJ60? Is there any chance the tire shop is correct that this is an original factory spare tire? It looks to be in really good condition for sitting under a truck for 30+ years so I am skeptical. The tire is a Dunlop Snow Cruiser. See photos attached. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg
IMG_4734.jpg
IMG_4735.jpg

I had some real old tires on mine and they were same size. They were H78-15. The OEM tire size.

I doubt that is original as it would have some serious rot. Thay definitely is an old spare..as I have not seen a tire size advertised in many years.

Dunlop snow cruiser is an original tire, I've got a few of them still.

Certainly the correct type for original spare.

Translate the date code, if it is prior to vehicle build date likely the original spare, if afterwards a likely oem style replacement.

Certainly the correct type for original spare.

Translate the date code, if it is prior to vehicle build date likely the original spare, if afterwards a likely oem style replacement.

most likely only a 3 digit date code

not the current 4 digit.

Seeing that a H78-15 tire is pretty much impossible to find anywhere, my guess is that's the original spare

I found this while doing cursory searches. Seems to support it being an original spare. I don't know how common this is on these trucks but man that to me is pretty remarkable. 30 plus years on the same wheel and never hitting the ground. Crazy. I don't see any evidence of dry rot anywhere on it and me rolling it to the side of the house seems to be the first time its ever hit the ground. This cruiser of mine seems full of surprises. So original.....I wonder now if I screwed up by replacing tires and doing lift. Love how it sits now so I am good with it but this thing amazes me every day. Thanks for the confirmation.

Sorry for being slow here but how would one translate the date code on this tire?

If BCL288 is the code, it could be Feb 88? The adjacent stamping also looks like 8-89.

figured i’d chime in since i was rolling around on my back near the spare. i think mine has never been on the road either. still has the rubber “ears”

dunlop 225/75/R15

814FCE57-926D-4175-860A-B080AB341E8B.jpeg

A6154DA4-3F20-4C89-B308-EA91D5EB3083.jpeg

582F9DE6-ADE8-47AA-851E-66E0B4C40A36.jpeg

There's a guy in the for sale section giving 2 away, you could get them and almost have a complete set of really sketchy and dangerous 30 year old tires.

What really scares me is that you guys have actually been driving around with those ‘spares’.
I hope you live within the range of your AAA

When I bought our 60, it had the same spare tire, plus 4 more originals on the stock rims! I sold the wheels years ago and the guy wanted all the stock tires, including spare for his restoration.

This was 20+ years ago, I wonder if he still has them...or...holy crap...is using them???

does anyone know if a 33" tire will fit in the factory spare spot?

i have plans for one of the new trail tailor aluminum bumpers with a spare tire carrier on the back - looking forward to that - having a spare that matches the bfg at k02 33's that are on the truck...but i think his aluminum bumper is a few weeks to months out and i'm about to hit the road for a road trip to wyoming. can i stuff a 33" tire under there for now?

this from the NHTSA:

• As tires age, they are more prone to failure. Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear. You can determine how old your tire is by looking on the sidewall for your DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) . The last four digits of the TIN indicate the week and year the tire was made. If the TIN reads 0308 it was made in the third week of 2008. Look on both sides of the tire. The TIN may not be on both sides.

^ Good information. Thank You

does anyone know if a 33" tire will fit in the factory spare spot?

i have plans for one of the new trail tailor aluminum bumpers with a spare tire carrier on the back - looking forward to that - having a spare that matches the bfg at k02 33's that are on the truck...but i think his aluminum bumper is a few weeks to months out and i'm about to hit the road for a road trip to wyoming. can i stuff a 33" tire under there for now?
Paul - I had a 33x10.5 KO2 that fit no problem in the factory spare location on my 62.

Paul - I had a 33x10.5 KO2 that fit no problem in the factory spare location on my 62.
thanks mate! i believe i'll be getting one before setting off for wyoming then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom