FJ60 on tow dolly (1 Viewer)

Hi mates,
I'm new on here, going to pickup and FJ60 but needs to be towed home ~200 miles. Any advices on tow dollys, ie remove rear drive shaft vs just putting it in neutral?

Thanks

Congrats on the new toy!

No need to remove the drive shaft, neutral should be fine, just make sure you're out of gear and the handbrake isn't on and bring it home!

WhiteTiger911

MUD is my social life...
SILVER Star

Yup bring it home I towed mine home on a dolly, trip was about 5-600 miles and I took the drive shaft off but from what I understand it’s not nessiaary as long as it’s in neutral. I only did to make myself alittle less worried about it.

I will say though make sure to keep those straps tight I noticed a few times that they had loosened up alittle. Also had to add air to the 60s back tires a few times.

I towed my FJ62 up from Salt Lake City to Portland a few months back. I used a car trailer from Penske and it had no problem handling the Cruiser and the few little things I put in it.

I thought about doing a dolly but after some research people said the trailer would be fine.

Just flat towed mine 1200 miles. Transfer case 2H and transmission in neural per the owners manual. 70-80mph consistant speed, some places faster when the limit was 80mph.

I had no issues. Just keep in mind backing up isn’t easy, basically impossible.

Good luck.

I vaguely remember backing a vehicle on a tow dolly before so the drivetrain wouldn't spin.

Either way you do it the steering column probably needs to be unlocked or it will break.

Dang that looks like mine down to the discoloration behind the license plate. The owners manual says put the t-case in 2H though.

A tow dolly is nice because you can disconnect and back up easily if you are alone. You can also always try to back up on it and throw some magnetic lights on it if you want to keep your drivetrain from spinning.
Besides that I like the tow bar that came with mine, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from installing one.

When people pass you and you are going faster than 65ish it does get a little floaty. Pulled mine with a 2wd regular cab F250.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom