FJ60 on tow dolly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi mates,
I'm new on here, going to pickup and FJ60 but needs to be towed home ~200 miles. Any advices on tow dollys, ie remove rear drive shaft vs just putting it in neutral?

Thanks

Yup bring it home I towed mine home on a dolly, trip was about 5-600 miles and I took the drive shaft off but from what I understand it’s not nessiaary as long as it’s in neutral. I only did to make myself alittle less worried about it.

I will say though make sure to keep those straps tight I noticed a few times that they had loosened up alittle. Also had to add air to the 60s back tires a few times.

I towed my FJ62 up from Salt Lake City to Portland a few months back. I used a car trailer from Penske and it had no problem handling the Cruiser and the few little things I put in it.

I thought about doing a dolly but after some research people said the trailer would be fine.

Just flat towed mine 1200 miles. Transfer case 2H and transmission in neural per the owners manual. 70-80mph consistant speed, some places faster when the limit was 80mph.

I had no issues. Just keep in mind backing up isn’t easy, basically impossible.

Good luck.

I will say though make sure to keep those straps tight I noticed a few times that they had loosened up alittle.

Same here, I towed mine in neutral a few years back and had no issues.
60.JPG

I vaguely remember backing a vehicle on a tow dolly before so the drivetrain wouldn't spin.

Either way you do it the steering column probably needs to be unlocked or it will break.

No issues with leaving driveshaft in. Just t-case neutral and keep it in the slow lane...and in a 60 towing a 60...start slowing a mile in advance, lol.
IMG_8110.JPG

Dang that looks like mine down to the discoloration behind the license plate. The owners manual says put the t-case in 2H though.

A tow dolly is nice because you can disconnect and back up easily if you are alone. You can also always try to back up on it and throw some magnetic lights on it if you want to keep your drivetrain from spinning.
Besides that I like the tow bar that came with mine, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from installing one.

When people pass you and you are going faster than 65ish it does get a little floaty. Pulled mine with a 2wd regular cab F250.

Reading this thread made me more confused… Picking up a 60 this weekend near Grand Junction and towing it ~300 miles home through the mountains to Longmont on a Uhaul dolly. Seems to be 2 camps for doing this:
1) Trans in N, t-case in 2H, disconnect the rear driveshaft.
2) Trans in N, t-case in N, maybe disconnect the rear driveshaft.

What you say?

Preface: I've never towed anything....

Owners manual for the FJ60 says Transmission in N and transfer case in H2. They also recommend to have it towed by you Toyota Dealer (!). Their context seems to be towing to the dealer for repairs.

I found this thread that goes into a little more detail Towing a 60? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-a-60.289461/

Even when in neutral, some gears in the transfer case will still rotate. The thread above indicates that unless you have modified your transfer case shift gate, the transfer case shift pattern is H2 <--> H4 <--> N <--> L4. So putting the transfer case with a stock shift gate in neutral will also put the case in 4WD so now both front and rear drive shafts will be rotating. I suppose you can disconnect the transfer case shift linkage and manually put it into RWD and neutral, but there might be some risk it pops out. Removing the drive shaft seems like easy peace of mind, to me, especially if you are not familiar with the truck.

Removing the drive shaft seems like easy peace of mind, to me, especially if you are not familiar with the truck.

x2. No way you can fry the transmission or xfer case if they aren't connected. Just wire up the driveshaft securely so it doesn't fall off (or remove it completely).

Dude just undo the 4 bolts on the diff and ratchet strap the drive shaft to the frame. I did this with a fj40 A LOT when i would tow it with my 3rd gen garbage tacoma. no issues at all.

Thanks everyone. I’ll pull the driveshaft bolts at the diff and secure it up high for the trip 👍🏽

Made it home. Not fun pulling the 60 up and over Monarch Pass with the 100. But otherwise was smooth sailing.

1890D544-18D8-4998-BC60-9920739ECAC3.jpeg

However, by the time I got home, the shaft was barely hanging on at the slip joint splines! I didn’t think about it at the time, but despite having the shaft ratchet strapped to the frame, with the truck bouncing around the shaft slid down the splines and nearly separated. Might be best to just remove the shaft completely and throw it in the back!

For future readers of this thread. I've get 25K miles of flat towing on my 1987 FJ60. Transfer in neutral. Transmission in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom