fj60 on it's way, what do I do first? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am getting a fj60 shipped to me this weekend. I saw it in person the other day and it looked to be in great shape, so much better then so many others I have seen. It's a 84 fj60, 160-190k on the ticker (forget the amount) in need of paint and minor stuff. What are to first things that I need to check? I want to get all of the service issues out of the way. The frame needs to be sanded down a tad to get the surface rust off and I plan to seal it up, so after that major step what would you do hahah.

Baseline all your fluids. I mean ALL of them. Engine oil, antifreeze, transfer oil, differential oil... Check your wheel bearings and re-pack as needed. Full tune up, new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, PCV, air filter.

Oh, and buy a AAA membership.

Welcome to the club! Sounds like a great truck.

Check out the FAQ on the top of the forum...lots of great info in there to get you thinking...especially the section on popular mods. Here's a specific link that will get you going.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=16077

LC's can last a long time w/little maintance - so it's good to go over the truck throughougly to make sure everything is right. PO's can be neglectful...Change all fluids, etc. Drive it for awhile - the time will bring out any gremlins. After you're sure it's all running great, then go to town on mods.

I forgot, it's been sitting for a year, but run once a week.....also, where do I buy the toyota workbook at?

Last edited:
There is a god, and he's a regular on the mud forum. He goes by CDan (Cruiser Dan). He's the parts manager of a Toyota dealer. Order the FSM (Field Service Manual) through him.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17873

Most of us use OEM parts. These can be purchased from CDan for a discount. You can find lower prices at your local "cheapo" auto parts place, but the LC didn't get it's reputation for durability by using cheap parts. Go OEM, and don't look back.

Your Toyota dealer can order the Toyota Field Service Manual set for you. ABout $100. This is by far the best maual for a 60.

When you get it, read it. You will learn a huge amount about your truck.

Welcome to MUD.

M

Fluids, brakes, tune up and then drive it. Your FJ60 will tell you what to fix next. If all is good after a few hundred or so, check out the previously mentioned mod thread....lots of good ideas!

In vegas we have a "Teribles Lube" They are great they changed my tranny, x-fer case, front diff, rear diff, and checked and topped off all my other fluids for $60. I was stoked they even took off my skid plate and washed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost fainted at how good the service was.

Guys, thank so much for the advice. I will look around for a fluid place like that to save me the time, but I doubt I can find anythin like that out here, I will just do it myself I quess.

01_1.JPG

So I just dropped this bumper off to get line-x(ed) today. It just showed up last night. The picture does NOT do it justice. Anyway, I got to talking to the owner and looking at the pick up truck he had and got to thinking. I want to line-x the bottom rocker part along the 60. (where the line starts and down) and maybe the frame too, still unsure on that part.

Here is the kicker, the truck needs a paint job bad. First off, anyone have a rough price of the rate that should be fair for maybe just white paint? Second, since it needs to be painted, I should do the line-x on the outside after this right? The guy is giving me a sick friend deal since we know some of the same people, but I don't want to wait to long and miss my chance.

Any advice.....sorry to keep going on and on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom