FJ60 LPG conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sherif6 said:
Anyone with any advise on conversion to LPG?

I have NON-USA FJ62 and she uses both gasoline and LPG.
My 3F engine is not EFI but Carb. engine that it's not so difficult to install LPG components. (It's not so different FJ60 with carb. FJ62 when consider their mechanism)
Only required parts are LPG tank, LPG line(hard tube), LPG vaporizer, solenoid valve and mixer.
When installing, you must re-route some engine coolant line to warm up the LPG vaporizer.
It's clean and not expensive than gasoline and lengthen the engine oil change interval.
But biggest problem is power loss. I think it's about 10~20% and fuel mileage is somewhat less than gasoline.
My FJ62's regular mileage when using gasoline is 22~23 mpg. but 19~20 using with LPG.
But I think that using LPG has enough merit indeed. (bi-fuel !)

Oh, Min Seok

schaats said:
My FJ62's regular mileage when using gasoline is 22~23 mpg. but 19~20 using with LPG.

WOW! US gallons, or Imperial Gallons?

M

1st question. Why are you wondering about propane?

Mike S said:
WOW! US gallons, or Imperial Gallons?

M
It's US gallons.
I live in South Korea and we use metric system instead of English system that I actually runs about 9.5 km/L ~ 10 km/L (21.26 ~ 23.63 mpg)
And I did mistake at previous reply when converting mileage using LPG from metric to english system.
I had to use 3.78L as a gallon but used 4.78, I'm sorry :rolleyes:
Correct LPG mileage is 6.7 km/L ~ 7.5 km/L (15.82 ~ 17.72 mpg) :D
The best LPG mileage I'd ever have was 7.67 km/L (18.12 mpg) on the excellent new highway.
You could find that fuel efficiency of LPG is very low than gasoline.
But the price can compensate that.

Oh, Min Seok

Fuel efficiency of LPG is not less than Gasoline.

You just have to set the motor up differently (more compression, different timin ect..)

Running dual fuel is a compromise at best. It does work well.

Mace said:
Fuel efficiency of LPG is not less than Gasoline.

You just have to set the motor up differently (more compression, different timin ect..)

Running dual fuel is a compromise at best. It does work well.

Well, we have so many LPG cars in Korea. LPG is very popular
All taxicap uses LPG, Almost(more than 95%) SUV, VAN used diesel or LPG.
And Almost all light truck uses diesel or LPG also(only except very few imported trucks).
Many cars are made as LPG car from factory, others are remaking as bi-fuel car.

But every people who drive LPG car makes a murmur at power loss and low fuel efficiency.

I didn't see fuel efficiency of LPG cars reach up to gasoline until now.
I also did some tune up for my FJ62. I did ignition timing advance but I don't know how I could do compression change.
Non-usa FJ62 is equiped with vacuum advanced contact point style distributor that it's easy to ignition timing change using with octane selector.

Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom