FJ60 Knuckles on a 55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just getting a little more information before I start into the steering conversion and beef-up.

Will a set of FJ60 knuckles fit onto a 55 1977 axle? I do not see any reason why they would not...are there different birf lengths?

thanks

They will fit onto the axle with no modifications. The 60 knuckles have the big pattern steering arm pattern and are great for SOA. I don't know if you plan on going SOA or not but you will have to use the 60 steering arms for SUA or an aftermarket high steer arm for SOA.

Hope that helps.

you will have to change steering arms to the wider pattern also and the taper on the tre's probably won't be the same. someone posted in the 40 section that there's a post somewhere about a shim to use to make up the taper.

hi, doing a stronger knuckles is a god idea but, if you see the main diference between the 2 are, birfields(longer), and steering arms( bigger) and on my opinion if you need more stopping power get 97 4Runner calipers and fj60 rotors, and stronger steering arms get high steer, becouse is a thing about changing to 60 knuckles you have to change the birfield, make new steering bars (or cut the ones on the fj 60 axle, make then short and joint them) and add more money get new tre´s and more install cost(buttom line is All about money) we did here a conversion from drum to fj60 dics and is a ground to cloud difference but if youu already have disc brakes is allways good to explore another options instead changing your knucles becouse there is notbig diference 77 knucles and post 80´s fj60 knucles regarding durability

hope it helps
good day:steer::popcorn:

Do I need to run a different birfield? Or keep the one that I have in there now, from the 77 axle? I was under the impression that a 60 birf was longer and if I am not using the axle from a 60 I would need to stay with the shorter, 77, axle.

Thanks again, I appreciate the comments.

Do I need to run a different birfield? Or keep the one that I have in there now, from the 77 axle? I was under the impression that a 60 birf was longer and if I am not using the axle from a 60 I would need to stay with the shorter, 77, axle.

Thanks again, I appreciate the comments.

you're backwards...your 77 birf is the longer and has a smaller bell and ist less desireable. to run the 60 birf, you will need to grind jsut a bit out of the knuckle ball, but you'll get a better birf.

you're backwards...your 77 birf is the longer and has a smaller bell and ist less desireable. to run the 60 birf, you will need to grind jsut a bit out of the knuckle ball, but you'll get a better birf.

But if I will be running a 60's knuckle with the 60's birf I would not need to grind anything down....right?

Length wise, will it work in the 1977 axle housing, to short? too long?

hope I am not beating a dead horse

thanks

But if I will be running a 60's knuckle with the 60's birf I would not need to grind anything down....right?

Length wise, will it work in the 1977 axle housing, to short? too long?

hope I am not beating a dead horse

thanks

no, when you take the knuckle housing off the axle, you will see a ball end on the axle end (if you've ever looked at cut and turn pictures, it's the part that gets turned). you need to lightly grind away at the upper and lower ears of this ball shaped area to get the larger diameter birf bell to fit inside.

there are no issues with the birfield working in the housing. if you have the complete fj60 front end, you only need to change the long side inner axle shaft, the short side is the same as your 55

no, when you take the knuckle housing off the axle, you will see a ball end on the axle end (if you've ever looked at cut and turn pictures, it's the part that gets turned). you need to lightly grind away at the upper and lower ears of this ball shaped area to get the larger diameter birf bell to fit inside.

there are no issues with the birfield working in the housing. if you have the complete fj60 front end, you only need to change the long side inner axle shaft, the short side is the same as your 55

Got it. Thanks for explaining it. :cheers:

like in this axle the short inner fj60 axle works, after a little test and fail,the issue is with the long side I just shortted the lenght of the axle to fit on my fj55
100_1385.jpg
:popcorn::beer::beer::steer:
100_1385.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom