fj60 Jumpy when driven cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, if i start my fj60 early in the morning and try to take off while its still cold its really jumpy to were i have to baby the clutch until i pick up speed. why could this be? the radiator shop near me said my intake gasket needed replaced but they got 180 out of me saying my radiator was fine so i got it flushed twice to find out i was still over heating, took the old radiator out and there were no coils in it. I DONT TRUST THEM.

It is an old carbureted engine so it needs time for it to adequately warm up. Unfortunately, these engines are not like modern engines where you can jump in and go. You need to give it at least 5 minutes, depending on how cold out it is, to warm up some. Really don't think it is anything other than that.

& if the manifold gasket has a bit of a leak around the intake manifold, the engine could be running a little lean. Cold engines need richer mixtures than hot ones.

Here is a question for you @Lou the fj60 .... are you using the choke cable when you are starting it? I have found that if I REALLY need to get going immediately I pull the choke and drive with the choke for a few minutes. Not really recommended but could be something in a pinch. And like @Output Shaft said, if there is a small vacuum leak somewhere in the intake then it will cause the engine to not want to run smoothly.

Again, these are analog engines, not digital like today's get up and go mentality. Give yourself a good 5 minutes of warmup time prior to leaving and you will do much better. Hell I think unless my truck has been only sitting for a few hours overnight (like I get home from softball at midnight and have to be up at 5am for work) then it almost always requires the 5-10 minutes warm-up. Normally I start the truck, go in and make my coffee and by the time I am ready to leave, about 10 minutes, she is ready to go.

I start mine up, then slide out of the truck and walk over the the hidden bushes on the side of the house, relieve myself of the mornings' coffee (we're in a drought, remember?), go back in da house, get my commuter cup o' java topped off, add some milky, back to the truck, adjust the choke to half and off I go .... Still a bit jerky for a couple of miles.

In my shop, the majority of FJ-60 engine problems come from vacuum systems that are not hooked up properly or have failed components. Look for failed diaphragms in the distributor and V.S.V. for the distributor dryer (clipped on the underside of the air filter-passenger side) These need to hold vacuum when applied.Also look for clogged V.T.V. at the choke pull off( clipped to the carburetor -driver side). Another big problem is carbon build up on the back of the valves. It has some hard deposits and the top layer is usually like charcoal, it absorbs fuel quickly and limits air and fuel getting smoothly into the combustion chamber. It is a problem on 60's and 62's. Buy a good grade of fuel that has detergents. I highly recommend adding BG 44k regularly to the fuel to keep it clean in there. I was at the dealer when 60's were sold and they drove smoothly when cold and new. Age and wear will make them a little cold blooded but make sure the systems are working and you will see improvement. Bill PS Warming the engine for a minimum of 30 seconds will ensure oil gets to all the valve components- I let mine warm up for a few minutes to minimize wear and let the engine warm up.

I start mine up, then slide out of the truck and walk over the the hidden bushes on the side of the house, relieve myself of the mornings' coffee (we're in a drought, remember?), go back in da house, get my commuter cup o' java topped off, add some milky, back to the truck, adjust the choke to half and off I go .... Still a bit jerky for a couple of miles.

That's gross! Milk in coffee...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom