FJ60 Holley Sniper Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then negative from the HEI. Sniper, and the tach/ac both need it.
(I accidentally hooked it up to the Positive and now my tach doesn't work anymore☹️).

Now I'm totally confused because I am not using the coil. I am only using the plug that the coil was hooked up to initially - and was going to just tie in the pink Sniper wire, and the BATT wire on DUI distributor, into a relay, and hook it up to that.

Here's what my intuition said - where have I gone wrong?

DUI Relay.jpg

It seems okay... I didn't use the relay. What happens when you turn the key?

The HEI has a coil too, it just on the dist. Cap. Maybe that helps to make sense.

I haven't tried yet. Asked around in another Sniper thread, and got some different answers. Looking to wire it up like this, based off the feedback that I got. If I have issues, may throw throw the relay into the mix. This was the most straight forward, and simple.

DUI wiring part 2.png

That is how I ran mine. Works fine . Except I have dedicated + and ground running to the Sniper from the battery thru the relay provided. Just to be clear.

With surge tank (PowerSurge) using stock filter in front of the stock mechanical pump and 10 micron final filter between surge tank and the Sniper. Eazy peazy.

View attachment 2601479
I like the idea of using a swirl pot with the mechanical fuel pump to the pot and electronic pump from the pot to the injectors. With this set up is there any chance of running the pot empty, like on a long trip? Or does the mechanical pump move enough fuel in combination with the fuel return to keep up with the demands of the Sniper?

Also, any issues with vapor lock with the pot under the hood?

If this works it is a winner.

I like the idea of using a swirl pot with the mechanical fuel pump to the pot and electronic pump from the pot to the injectors. With this set up is there any chance of running the pot empty, like on a long trip? Or does the mechanical pump move enough fuel in combination with the fuel return to keep up with the demands of the Sniper?

Also, any issues with vapor lock with the pot under the hood?

If this works it is a winner.

RobbMc recommends their smallest surge tank unit for motors making up to 500 horsepower (at 60 psi that the Sniper requires). That's the one I've been using for a few months now with my 2F and it works great.

Keep in mind that the Sniper fuel return line goes back to surge tank. The motor isn't using any more fuel than it did with the carb and mechanical pump, so I feel like it'd be impossible to run it dry.

I've had no fuel issues with this setup. @wngrog has mentioned on other threads that he's used this setup on a few 2F Cruisers and had no issues that couldn't be resolved.

@brian az where do you have your surge tank? Mine gets very warm on long wheeling days. And my fuel pump pressure drops to 45-50 psi

@brian az where do you have your surge tank? Mine gets very warm on long wheeling days. And my fuel pump pressure drops to 45-50 psi

Next to the charcoal canister. I've got a thread here with photos. I actually haven't done any long wheeling days yet. The longest I've driving it is probably ~45 minutes around town (in the 110° Phoenix heat). I haven't noticed any fuel pressure issues.

Mine is mounted like wngrog's. It gets hot up there with the Man A Fre headers. No fuel pressure or starvation issues, but when it's hot you can hear the fuel being pressure pumped back to the main tank. NOTE: Make sure you use EXCELLENT quality EFI hose from surge tank to Sniper. Just sayin.

Hey all! I just picked up a Sniper kit for my 83 FJ60, I’m pretty young and this is my first cruiser and all, wondering where everyone put the new coolant temp sensor?

Hey all! I just picked up a Sniper kit for my 83 FJ60, I’m pretty young and this is my first cruiser and all, wondering where everyone put the new coolant temp sensor?

My stock temp gauge wasn't working anyway, so I put mine in spot where the stock sending unit was. At some point I'll fix the stock gauge and I'll move the sniper sending unit...probably to the thermostat housing, but it seems most people are using the spot on the driver side of the block where there's a drain plug.

My stock temp gauge wasn't working anyway, so I put mine in spot where the stock sending unit was. At some point I'll fix the stock gauge and I'll move the sniper sending unit...probably to the thermostat housing, but it seems most people are using the spot on the driver side of the block where there's a drain plug.
Okay, I was just going to replace my stock one as well but it seems they’re different sizes. I’m assuming I can go pick up a threaded adapter for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom