FJ60 GX questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a total rookie with Cruisers and I just found a FJ60 GX in my area. What are some things to take note of when inspecting? Common mechanical errors? And advice on purchasing a FJ60?

It’s a 1990 with 190k miles on it. They are selling it for 8k but I can prob get it lower. Here’s a few pictures. Any help will be very appreciated.

CC90F8B8-69C7-438B-843E-AF3E05487F7E.jpeg

5D0E98E2-49D5-4335-ACA9-28F4DEF997DE.jpeg

591705C4-A6F6-445C-BA03-D116DF19120B.jpeg

70F9EE18-7948-4C44-9748-9D15684C8C98.jpeg

BF7B8E47-E8D7-4A41-85CA-B378F75FCCF0.jpeg

That is a 1990 FJ62. No GX lettering on that model. The automatic transmission, fuel injection, and power mirrors/windows differentiate it from the FJ60 which is manual trans, carburated motor, and manual windows/mirrors.

Main issues to look for are slipping transmission and check compression in each cylinder before buying. That's the short answer.

8k is way to much. It's going to need serious rust fixing to justify that alone.

That is a 1990 FJ62. No GX lettering on that model. The automatic transmission, fuel injection, and power mirrors/windows differentiate it from the FJ60 which is manual trans, carburated motor, and manual windows/mirrors.

Main issues to look for are slipping transmission and check compression in each cylinder before buying. That's the short answer.
Gotcha, yea the dealer referred to it as a FJ60 GX, but thats why i came here since this is a better resource.

8k is way to much. It's going to need serious rust fixing to justify that alone.
Yea I definitively need that price to come down. Its a cool rig but will need work. Still waiting for the maintenance report back as well. What might be a better price to offer? Thanks for your help

spray foam in the quarter panel, there will be a lot more rust issue than you see from the outside. spray foam holds moisture and is bad news

If you're on a tight budget, a 31 year old FJ62 isn't an ideal choice if it's going to be your only car. Everything is likely approaching EOL (which is to be expected) and parts for these, if you can even find them, aren't cheap.
A 30 year old neglected land cruiser can be a money pit and time sucking vortex to keep rolling. Or you could be lucky and get a pretty good one that'll go another 80,000 miles.

I think at this point in the game (3 decade old land cruisers) a better choice would be a FJ60. They're a lot simpler and can be kept running on will power alone

If you're on a tight budget, a 31 year old FJ62 isn't an ideal choice if it's going to be your only car. Everything is likely approaching EOL (which is to be expected) and parts for these, if you can even find them, aren't cheap.
A 30 year old neglected land cruiser can be a money pit and time sucking vortex to keep rolling. Or you could be lucky and get a pretty good one that'll go another 80,000 miles.

I think at this point in the game (3 decade old land cruisers) a better choice would be a FJ60. They're a lot simpler and can be kept running on will power alone
Ok thats good to know. Sadly I cant drive stick (yes i know make fun of me haha) but right now where i am at with it is if the dealer is willing to put in some money to fix it up before i buy then i might go for it. if not im probably better off with an 80 or 100

Sounds like you need a reliable 3rd gen 4runner. The landcruisers are really expensive to maintain and get even more expensive if you don't have garage space to do your own work.

I would not recommend this as your only car / daily driver.

I would run from anything with that much rust personally.

Definitely run from this one. Too much rust and yes, these old land cruisers are expensive to bring back from the dead. You have to source most parts from other LC owners and some parts can cost you $200 just for a switch depending on its scarcity. This is not the ideal starter vehicle for anyone on a budget.

keep looking. Rust is a nightmare. I bought my truck from a guy in OR when I lived in AZ. Use escrow.com for the payment to protect yourself, and find a rust free rig from the SW or west coast. My truck from OR had zero rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom