FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to add to the list for anyone looking in the Reno area. Dolan Toyota's service manager laughed at me and my 60 when I trailered it to them after they gave me an appointment to do it last year. Stay away.

Jim Bagan Toyota in South lake Tahoe was stoked to do it, took great care of me, and asked me to spread the word that they would love to do more, and more work on old cruisers.
They had an 84 in there for an engine rebuild.

Can't imagine any Toyota dealership handing over a gas tank without installing it. Liability concerns are what I believe would preclude that happening.

Ok

Can't imagine any Toyota dealership handing over a gas tank without installing it. Liability concerns are what I believe would preclude that happening.

Yeah. When I had mine replaced I asked to have the old tank and the service guy initially said yes, then later retracted due to liability.

I guess I'm screwed if my FJ60 is V8 swapped, with a modified tank to run an in-tank pump, huh? On a whim I decided to look up my VIN and the tank recall was never done on mine.
MIne was V8 swapped and they replaced my tank. They did it without any issues. Not sure how many replacement tanks are still available. Best of luck!

Is there someone I could send my vin to for verification? Our local Toyota dealership I heard is pretty good about working on the older Toyotas. The owner has several he owns.

Thanks
Chandler 😎🤙🏼

Try plugging your VIN here:

Is there someone I could send my vin to for verification? Our local Toyota dealership I heard is pretty good about working on the older Toyotas. The owner has several he owns.

Thanks
Chandler 😎🤙🏼
Looked mine up on Toyota. Was happy to find it still open from June 1991. Dropped off at local dealer and they had it done in a few days along with new sending unit, fuel pump and filter. I believe I sourced the last few rear seat belt retainers that were also on recall. This was Oct 2020.

Looked mine up on Toyota. Was happy to find it still open from June 1991. Dropped off at local dealer and they had it done in a few days along with new sending unit, fuel pump and filter. I believe I sourced the last few rear seat belt retainers that were also on recall. This was Oct 2020.

Looks like im due for one.

Has anyone done this for the 62? I think I read somewhere tanks are NLA for the 62 but I have not personally checked with a dealer.
When I bought my 62 I took it to the dealership for any tsb or recalls. I got a new tank under the recall and bought the pump, sending unit and lines for peace of mind. This was probably 12 years ago. I can’t believe how fast time flies.

@OGBeno is there any way to tell how many tanks might be left? I would assume there is only a finite number.

I have exhausted the search and been on the phone with MULTIPLE reps from corporate, and the word is there are no 62 tanks available. This was very recent. I kept pushing the issue and was offered to be connected with a rep who would open a buy back claim if I chose that route, I declined, I love my cruiser too much.

I have exhausted the search and been on the phone with MULTIPLE reps from corporate, and the word is there are no 62 tanks available. This was very recent. I kept pushing the issue and was offered to be connected with a rep who would open a buy back claim if I chose that route, I declined, I love my cruiser too much.

62 fuel tanks were discontinued easily 10 years ago. Maybe more.

I was referring to 60 tanks. Curious to know how many of those are left.

Remember his answer will reflect what is currently in the US and in transit to the US. This will not reflect global stock or any corporate decision to discontinue production.

So, as far as anyone knows, 60 tanks are still in production?

No way to know unless you are inbedded within the Toyota production pipeline.

They could be or availability is now down to remaining shelf stock. Do remember that the very newest vehicles that use this part are 36 years old.

43 in the US. 0 in transit.

673ECD55-37F0-4C1D-8FB4-12EFB2EF7D2E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom