FJ60 Fuel Tube Pick-up leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to go crazy!! I have replaced my fuel pick up tube, gasket and all new hardware (Toyota Parts). I can not stop it from leaking. Of course it only leaks when the tank is filled with 15 gallons and up. I have pulled the tank 3 times checking the gasket, rim around the tank and can not fine a obvious leak. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? What am I missing?? I have replaced all my rubber lines from engine bay back. Any help would be great or advice. Thanks from a frustrated 60 owner.

has the gas tank recall been done?
any idea where the leak is coming from?
could the top of the pickup have a small hole in it?

I am about to go crazy!! I have replaced my fuel pick up tube, gasket and all new hardware (Toyota Parts). I can not stop it from leaking. Of course it only leaks when the tank is filled with 15 gallons and up. I have pulled the tank 3 times checking the gasket, rim around the tank and can not fine a obvious leak. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? What am I missing?? I have replaced all my rubber lines from engine bay back. Any help would be great or advice. Thanks from a frustrated 60 owner.

pin hole leak maybe ?

where is the leak exactly coming from ?

have you pin pointed it exactly ?

ALL OLD rubber hoses and connections are high suspect here

did u install all new rubber lines to the new metal suction tubes ,

or

re-use 45+ year old JIS hose w/ spring tension clamps ?

elaborate more , if you can ? 🤔

i have dabbled much in this topic and can help ............:)

pin hole leak maybe ?

where is the leak exactly coming from ?

have you pin pointed it exactly ?

ALL OLD rubber hoses and connections are high suspect here

did u install all new rubber lines to the new metal suction tubes ,

or

re-use 45+ year old JIS hose w/ spring tension clamps ?

elaborate more , if you can ? 🤔

i have dabbled much in this topic and can help ............:)
The leak is coming from the the pick up tube area. All hoses, i mean every hose is new, pick up tube is new, gasket is new, screws and washers for pick up is new. The only thing I can think of is maybe the tank is warped and not making a good seal. I tighten the screws to the point where I was ringing off the heads. Obvious I fixed it but you get my point.

My next idea is run this tank out, pull it again plug all the holes and feel it up with gas in the yard and see if there is a hair line crack around the pick up tube.

has the gas tank recall been done?
any idea where the leak is coming from?
could the top of the pickup have a small hole in it?
Idk if the tank had the recall or not. I doubt anyone would honor the recall at this point. Hell its hard to find anything in general with COVID going on.

Idk if the tank had the recall or not. I doubt anyone would honor the recall at this point.

the recall is still active, plenty of threads on here about it

when the tank is 3/4 full or more, you have leakage from the front passenger side top of tank?
can you use a camera or scope and see anything?
have you looked in from the cargo area access hole?

Idk if the tank had the recall or not. I doubt anyone would honor the recall at this point. Hell its hard to find anything in general with COVID going on.

Did u polish the rubber gasket mating surface on the tank itself prior to using a new OEM
Toyota epdm flange mating gasket ?

Or ......

Polish I mean to bright metal

NO rust or surface imperfections of any kind

Next up

U used OEM machine screws correct ?

I make this point because I thought I was bright once long ago and used stainless ones from marine store

Well they were a hair long and bottomed out and hence no tight gasket seal on a toyota 4wd pickup

Same set up as a land cruiser

I have the correct OEM part # if u Need them on gasket and machine screws too

Did u polish the rubber gasket mating surface on the tank itself prior to using a new OEM
Toyota epdm flange mating gasket ?

Or ......

Polish I mean to bright metal

NO rust or surface imperfections of any kind

Next up

U used OEM machine screws correct ?

I make this point because I thought I was bright once long ago and used stainless ones from marine store

Well they were a hair long and bottomed out and hence no tight gasket seal on a toyota 4wd pickup

Same set up as a land cruiser

I have the correct OEM part # if u Need them on gasket and machine screws too
I guess I need to polish it. I did not do that step.

Could you share the the correct OEM Part #s on the screws and where you purchased them from? I used 8mm stainless steel screws, they were the same length/size as the rusty oem that I pulled out but this could also be my problem as well. I got the new pick up tube and gasket through Toyota i figured it would come with new hardware but did not.

I did track down the 60 recall on the gas tank and my truck qualifies so right now I am pursing that avenue as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

sure stand by on screws

make dam sure you do your home work here on MUD to approach the recall the right way with a dealer

most dealers don't want to go near a 40 years old Toyota rusty gas tank recall and WILL lie to your face on the topic .........

I did track down the 60 recall on the gas tank and my truck qualifies so right now I am pursing that avenue as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

if going with the recall, I wouldn't bother doing anything else, let the dealer take care of it.

sure stand by on screws

make dam sure you do your home work here on MUD to approach the recall the right way with a dealer

most dealers don't want to go near a 40 years old Toyota rusty gas tank recall and WILL lie to your face on the topic .........
10-4 @Onur helped me out. Found some good articles and documentation from him using the search engine.

He ran my vin # and the truck never had the recall performed. Still would like to get the part # on the screws when you get time. thanks @ToyotaMatt

if going with the recall, I wouldn't bother doing anything else, let the dealer take care of it.

i would make sure the recall covered new screws first

maybe not ?

if not make sure U supply the dealer who is preforming the recall OEM parts NO aftermarket stuff here

These are absolute chrome plated of some sort there not stainless I just used a magnet to verify

These are also a GREAT substitute for the cheezy black rust right away wiper blade to arms screws on all 60 and 62.s

CA0A6C9B-FC83-4C21-85D0-F9D6E478B29E.jpeg
79FDADBA-7B19-4359-9287-6BB70F745251.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom