FJ60 Fuel Tank how much is too much corrosion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dropped the tank today to prepare it for an efi fuel pump. Took a look in the tank and there are few rust spots but they don't look bad by any means. However, the fuel reservoir where the pickup sits is corroded to the point where it is beginning to flake off.

Ordinarily I'd just buy a tank but they appear to be pretty expensive and not that easy to find. So my question is are the home based tank restore kits any good or should I just send it off to have it professionally blast and coated?

Pic one is the tank base, pic 2 is the fuel reservoir.

image2 (3).jpeg

image0 (15).jpeg

It doesn't look bad.
I'm sure there are much worse tanks out there but....since the tank is out and I need to drill a hole, which means cleaning it afterwards, it is probably not a bad time to do something. Do I spend $400 plus shipping to have it professionally cleaned and sealed with a lifetime guarantee or clean it best I can and hope for the best.

i would personally install a NEW 23100-38010 oem translucent fuel filter

inspect each time you fill for gas

if you se crap in it you know you have issues

if no crap in it , you are home free .............

1617746037638.png

1617746056352.png

1617746611639.png

BELOW is a rust filled oem fuel filter ....poor land cruiser

Last edited:
i would personally install a NEW 23100-38010 oem translucent fuel filter

inspect each time you fill for gas

if you se crap in it you know you have issues

if no crap in it , you are home free .............

Good idea but I don't I can use that filter with a high pressure efi pump

The pick-up is still available, for a very reasonable price. Although that tank does not look bad, check your VIN to see if your truck is eligible for a tank via the recall. I promise the new one will look better.

Good idea but I don't I can use that filter with a high pressure efi pump
Is your truck an FJ60 or and FJ62?

1617748681838.png

If its an FJ60 then Matt's suggestion is the one. If its an FJ62 then you need a different piece. Probably worth editing the title to say FJ62 also so as not to lead to other people posting helpful info for a 60 if you actually need a 62.

Or if a 60 let us know the efi conversion as it may help us point out good filter or other options 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom